27. Your Deed

It was around 2 in the afternoon when Arnav's phone rang. Arnav looked at his phone and saw that it was Khushi calling.

Arnav took the call. "Missing me," Arnav smirked.

"No, I'm missing Arshi. Where is she?"

Arnav looked at Arshi. "On her swing playing."

"Play," Arshi exclaimed.

"Give the phone to her," Khushi demanded.

"Of course babe," Arnav teased.

Arnav moved over to Arshi and put the phone on speaker and gave it to her.

"Arshi," Khushi called.

"Amm!"

"How's my baby doing? Missing your Amma?"

"No," she said coyly, while making a face, causing Arnav to chuckle.

Khushi gasped. "No?"

"No," Arshi beamed.

"Did he tell you to say that?"

Arshi didn't reply, which meant she didn't understand.

"Did your daddy tell you to say that?'

"No."

Khushi scrunched her eyebrows. "Give the phone to daddy."

Arshi held the phone out. "Da!"

Arnav smiled and took the phone. "Da speaking."

"Why is my baby not missing me," Khushi exclaimed.

"I dunno. Maybe it's cause she wants her dad."

"Oh please! She barely knows you!"

"Which is exactly why."

Khushi paused. She could hear the seriousness in his voice, as well as the emotion it coated.

"Plus she loves me more," Arnav teased to lighten the heavy mood.

Khushi gasped. "She does not!"

"Alright, hear it for yourself." Arnav turned to Arshi. "Do you love daddy?"

"Da," Arshi exclaimed.

"Do you love mommy?"

"No," she innocently said as she put her finger in her mouth.

Arnav gently took her finger out of her mouth and Arnav turned back to his desk, and Arshi resumed playing. "Got your answer?"

"You're lucky I can't come over there right now. Don't forget to give my Arshi her milk and make sure she gets her nap," and she hung up.

Arnav chuckled and put his phone down. He looked back at the list:

She drinks regular milk, so just heat that up (about 15 seconds)

"Hmm, okay," Arnav said aloud to himself.

He picked Arshi up, put her toys down, picked up her bottle, and headed to the canteen. The workers looked at Arnav as he walked over there. He asked an employee to heat up some milk in the bottle and she nodded, taking it. She came back and handed the bottle back to Arnav. Arnav was about to give the bottle to Arshi, when he remembered how Khushi had checked the temperature of the milk on her hand. He was about to pour a bit on his hand, when the worker stopped him.

"I already checked, Sir. It should be fine," she lightly smiled.

Arnav nodded and gave the bottle to Arshi, who happily took it and drank, getting comfy into Arnav. Arnav walked out and was heading back to his room, when he heard and employee whisper aloud.

"Can you believe it? Arnav Singh Raizada is babysitting his child! What about her mother? Women are supposed to stay home and take care of the children. I have two kids at home and my wife does all the work. Not once do they bother me. I wonder how Sir got his work done all morning."

Arnav turned around, causing the guy to flinch. Arnav walked over to him, standing a good half feet away.

"I have my daughter with me because its also my responsibility - not just Khushi's," he said menacingly. "I have my daughter with me because I want to and above all - because I love her, and she loves me. You have kids right? What did you say? Two of them right? And they don't bother you? That's because they don't care about you."

The guy's eyes widened.

"You're kids don't bother you because they don't want you - you're a waste of their time. You never cared about them, so they don't care about you. Heck, your own wife probably doesn't give a shit about you since you knocked her up twice."

The guy looked down, completely embarrassed. "They're twins, Sir," he whispered.

Arnav's eyebrows shot up. "Oh? So once then? How old are they?"

"Almost 3. Sir."

"Ah... so like I said, you used your wife and knocked her up. No wonder your family hates you."

The guy looked down because in actuality, it was true.

"Own up to your deed." Arnav looked at everyone. "Everyone get back to work!!"

They scattered away, going back to their work. Arnav went back up to his room and tried to put Arshi back in her swing, but she refused. She wrapped her free arm around his neck and Arnav understood. He went to his seat and sat down, and Arshi sat on his lap, resting her head against his chest. Arnav continued his work as Arshi drank. She had only a little bit left, but refused to drink anymore, so Arnav put the bottle down. When he looked back at her, she was falling asleep. Arnav held her close, patting her lightly, something he had picked up from his Di for Pari. Soon enough, Arshi had fallen asleep.

Arnav thought it would be better if he put her back in the swing. When he got up, Arshi moved slightly and her arm that was around his neck, clutched onto his collar. Arnav looked down at her hand and then at Arshi. Smiling, Arnav placed Arshi on the swing, turning it on so that it rocked slowly, and Arnav resumed to his work.

Every now and then, Arnav would glance at his baby girl. She looked absolutely peaceful in her sleep, a small smile playing on her lips, making Arnav wonder what she was dreaming about. The smile remained on her face the entire time she slept. Every time he would glance at her, he would admire her, sometimes even seeing images of Khushi. She truly did look like Khushi, but of course she had his eyes, which gave Arnav an odd sense of pride. He couldn't help it; his baby girl was the most beautiful child in the world, and having his feature just made him proud.

Arnav leaned back in his chair. He played with his pen in his hand, rotating it as he gazed at his daughter. He remembered what his employee had said downstairs and what he had said to him.

"Own up to your deed."

Arnav sighed and placed his pen down before looking at his daughter, then at a photo of his wife, which sat on his desk.

"Own up to my deed," he said aloud to himself.

And own it, he would.