20. What Happened After?

The week flew by like nothing and Khushi and Arnav worked away, nonstop. And just like that, it was Friday. Khushi was working, taking sips of her chai, when Soniya texted.

Outside w/ Arshi

Khushi put her huge coffee cup down and headed out, or should I say, ran out. Everyone looked at her in surprise as she ran past. Arnav was talking to a worker when she ran by.

“What the-? Khushi why are you running?”

“Cause my baby is here,” she yelled out, still running.

“What- oh!”

Arnav followed after and and everyone stared, confused.

Khushi reached outside and immediately picked Arshi up when she got to her.

“Oh my baby,” Khushi squealed. “How’s my baby doing?”

“Amm!”

Arnav stood there, enjoying the sight. Seeing the mother-daughter love they had, filled his heart. He shook it off and went over to them. Arshi nearly jumped out of Khushi’s arms when she saw Arnav just to go to him, and when he did, Arshi held him tight.

“Whoa, easy little princess. I’m not leaving you anytime soon,” Arnav said as he tried to calm Arshi down.

“She’s acting like this because she didn’t see you in the morning,” Khushi said softly.

“Oh... I’m sorry sweetie,” Arnav said to Arshi. “It's not my fault if your mom and I don’t stay together-”

Excuse me?!

Arnav realized that what he said and bit his cheek, realizing that what he meant to say came out completely wrong.

“Khushi I-”

“You know what, don’t. Let’s just go to your place, I don't want to upser Nani by neing late.”

Khushi was pissed and Arnav could see it. He got mad at himself, wishing to take back what he had said. But the damage was done.

*~*

They arrived at Arnav’s place and Khushi took Arshi in her arms. The three of them waited at the door and Hari Prakash opened it. They sat down in the living room and Nani, Anjali, Payal, and Mami came in. They hugged each other and then Payal spoke.

“Khushi, tere liye ek surprise hain.”

Surprise?”

“Hai re Nand Kisore!”

Khushi knew that voice from anywhere. She turned and saw Buaji, her Amma, and her Babuji - who surprised her even more.

“Babuji,” Khushi yelled out, and she ran over to him. “Oh my gosh! You’re standing!”

“Of course," Shashi smiled softly. "You didn’t think I was going to be in that wheelchair forever, did you?”

Khushi bit her lip, trying to hold back her tears, but couldn’t hold it for long and burst into tears, and she hugged him.