4. Encounter

Arnav entered the park but he didn’t see Khushi anywhere. He continued to look around, but Khushi was nowhere in sight.

Khushi looked around desperately for Arshi, her tears pooling. Soniya called out Arshi’s name, as well as did Khushi, but nothing.

Arnav looked around, desperate to find his Khushi. He had a strong feeling she was here. The problem was he couldn’t find her. 

He sighed and shut his eyes. Where is she? Where is my Khushi?

All of a sudden he felt a tug on his pants. He looked down and saw a little girl.

She’s beautiful, he thought, and he bent down to his knees.

“Hi sweetie,” Arnav said, quite surprised at himself for saying that.

She looked at him for a moment and then smiled.

“You’re so cute!” Arnav realized that she was alone and he looked around. “Where’s your mom?”

She babbled and cooed and then looked around. “Amm… Amm….”

Arnav looked at her, confused, but somehow he had a feeling she was trying to say Amma.

He picked her up and she looked at him for a second, and then put her arms around him. At first, Arnav was surprised, but then he relaxed and he held her tightly. He didn’t know why he was doing it, but there was something about her that he couldn’t quite understand.

“ARSHI!”

The little girl turned and cooed. “So,” she exclaimed as she clapped.

Soniya turned to at the sound of her voice and grinned with relief as she approached Arshi. But as she got closer, her smile went down, slightly. She couldn’t believe her eyes. There, right in front of her, was Arnav Singh Raizada, not even knowing that he was holding his own daughter.

Arshi reached out to Soniya and she took her.

“Thank you Mr. Raizada,” she said.

At first Arnav was surprised that she knew his name, but then he thought she might have seen him on TV or something.

“No problem,” he said. “Just be more careful with your daughter.”

“She’s not my daughter... I’m her nanny.”

“Oh… well, take better care of her.”

He looked at Arshi and gave her a kiss on the cheek. He didn't know why he did it, but his heart said it was right.

Arnav turned away and Arshi began to cry. She reached her arms out towards him, but he was out of reach, already heading towards his car.

"I'm sorry Arshi," Soniya soothed, "I know you want your dad."