22. Like Father, Like Daughter

Both Khushi and Soniya headed downstairs, making sure all of her marks were covered. Everyone else was stuck in their conversations & Arnav looked up at Khushi. While they joined everyone else, Khushi was feeling very bothered. She could feel Arnav's stares and she was even more bothered. Khushi stood immediately and headed to the kitchen, while everyone else was in shock. Then again, it was very Khushi-like.

In the kitchen, Khushi was too busy making jalebis and munching on them. Everyone watched, missing Khushi's antics. She eventually made a mountain-load of jalebis and kept going at it. Arnav's old habit kicked in and he went in, everyone watching.

"Khushi, that's more than enough," Arnav said.

"No! I have more to make!"

"Khushi stop."

"No!"

"Khushi-"

"Humne kaha na? No!"

Khushi moved her hand to make more, but Arnav stopped her hand and took the sack. He turned to place it down and when he looked back, she had another sack in her hand.

"What the?!"

"Keep your what the's to yourself," Khushi muttered, chomping at her jalebi.

"Khushi, don't you think that is enough," Arnav said calmly, nodding at the tray full of jalebis.

"No." She turned and picked up another tray, smaller, but loaded with jalebis.

"What the?! Khushi, that's enough!"

"No its not! Those are sugared while these are sugarless!"

"What?"

Arnav looked at the big tray and picked a jalebi up to eat, when Khushi slapped his hand.

"Arnav, not those! Those," and she shoved the small tray in his face.

He looked down at the tray and then at Khushi, who was already making more. "Why'd you make them?"

"I got pissed so I got up and made them. Since I make a lot, I decided to make enough for everyone else."

"Why make the sugarless ones?"

"Why else? For you silly. You can't have sugar unless miraculously you don't have diabetes anymore."

Arnav didn't mind the joke and picked up the tray with the sugared-jalebi."Om Prakash!"

OP came running in. "Ji Arnav bhaiya?"

"Go and serve these to everyone," he said while still looking at Khushi.

"Ji," and he took the tray from him and left.

Om Prakash went walking past everyone and the smell went through everyone's nose, and they were immediately intoxicated by it. Instead of sticking around to see the two, they ran to the table, their mouths watering.

"I meant why make sugarless ones," Arnav said.

"Arnav, I told you already - for you."

"But why?"

"Oof! Arnav please!" She bit into a jalebi and chewed vigorously.

"Alright fine. But why are you making jalebis?"

"I told you, I got pissed."

"Why?"

"Because of what happened earlier-" she stopped.

Arnav knew what she was talking about and Khushi got out her compact from her pocket and lifted the scarf. Her neck was purple, hickeys all over.

"Hai Devi maiya," Khushi groaned.

She looked at Arnav and he was already looking at her.

Khushi looked away. "Don't look at me like that," she mumbled, but Arnav understood.

"Why not?"

"Because you shouldn't."

"I shouldn't?"

"You-"

"Khushi." It was Soniya.

She came in, Arnav irritated.

"What's wrong Soni," Khushi asked.

"Arshi woke up."

"Already?"

Khushi turned the stove off and as she turned to leave, she noticed that Arnav had already left. Khushi went up and found Arnav patting Arshi lightly. He was holding her and Arshi itched her eyes.

"Arshi," Khushi called out.

Arshi looked at Khushi lazily. "Amm," she said in a tired voice.

Khushi took Arshi and patted her. "Is my baby hungry? Hmm?"

Arshi nodded.

Arnav picked up Arshi's bottle. "It's somewhat warm."

Khushi took it and felt it on her cheek. "um... I guess." Khushi tried to place it in Arshi's mouth, but Arshi refused. "Arshi?" She tried again, but Arshi refused. "Arshi, sweetie, please?"

"Mmm mm," Arshi refused.

"Arshi," Arnav said, "please?"

Arshi reached out to Arnav and he took her. Once in his hands, she put her thumb in her mouth.

"Really Arshi," Khushi frowned.

Arnav took the bottle from Khushi's hand and fed Arshi. Arshi happily drank from her bottle and finished it. He put Arshi down on the bed and Khushi shook her head. She picked her up and started patting her.

"She has to burp, you know," Khushi said.

"Oh. My bad."

Arshi burped and bit her finger.

"No Arshi, that's a bad habit," Khushi said moving her finger away.

"Yeah," Arnav said, "you'll end up being like your mother."

"Excuse me?"

Arshi laughed and Arnav took her. 

Khushi shook her head. Like father, like daughter.