35. Breakfast

There's no sense in denying how happy I feel after Tres promised not to take Camille to the wedding. We met Ansel and Harper. The four of us had lunch together in an exclusive restaurant of the couple's choice. The food was great.

"Everything's actually set." Harper told us. "Alam niyo namang matagal ng handa lahat-lahat. So Ansel and I were planning to spend a week or at least a few days together before the wedding."

"We'd love to be there." Tres answered but is not looking at any of us. He's been glued to his phone right after he cleared his plate. It began annoying me honestly.

"Are you okay?" Harper mouthed after holding my hand. Tumango ako't ngumiti kahit alam ko sa loob-loob ko na hindi naman ako okay. "Anyway, someone will be joining us here. Na-traffic pa." Luminga si Harper sa paligid. Sinundan ko ng tingin ang direksiyong pinipupukolan ng mata niya. "Nandito na pala e."

What? Wait. The guy approached us. He gave Harper a quick hug while he tapped Ansel on the shoulder.

"Hi Maddy." Flickr greeted which made me feel uncomfortable. However, his greeting took Tres' attention away from his phone. "It's quite a while since we last saw each other."

Looking at Tres, I saw the sharp gaze he's shooting at Flickr. 

"Hey man. How are you?" Bati naman niya kay Tres.

"I remember you." He just said, not taking the hand Flickr offered for handshake.

"Anyway guys, I know it came as a shock. But honestly, it's been just about two or three months since Ansel and I met my sister. She was married to Flickr's brother. So that's how we met." Harper explained. Oo nga, naikuwento pala ni Tres sa'kin noon na may nakakabatang kapatid si Harper sa totoo niyang magulang na matagal ng hindi nakakauwi sa kanila dahil dinala ito ng asawa sa labas ng bansa. It's a small world after all.

"Bro, damsel." Tres called out his friends' attention while we all are enjoying our dessert. "Maddy and I have to go. I have to drive her to the publishing house and she'll be late if we won't head now."

What is he talking about? Why is he lying to his friends?

"It's okay bro." Sagot naman ni Ansel. Tinapik niya sa balikat ang kaibigan. Samantalang, niyakap naman ako ni Harper bago kami tuluyang lumabas ng restaurant.

"What was that?" I asked him when we got in his car.

"What was what?"

"Why did you lie to them? We don't have to leave."

"Tsk. Aminin mo nga sa'kin, you just wanna be around that guy, don't you? I remember him, Madellaine." He angrily blared at me.

"Kung sabagay, kanina mo pa naman talaga gustong umalis. We didn't feel your presence there. Puro ka cellphone. Hindi ba makapaghintay 'yang babae mo?" I had enough too. I was too annoyed at him for accusing me and that's why I just exploded. "What does she want? Hook up with you like what you did last time?"

"Don't accuse me of anything. You know that I won't do that." He outrageously huffed at me. I flinched at the odd volume of his voice.

"Whatever, Tres. Alam mo, hindi na kita maintindihan." Here is my weak self talking. I'm crying again. "Hindi ka naman ganyan eh." I fixed my eyes towards the building passing by outside the car window so I could avoid looking at him. "Whenever we're together Tres, we just ended up fighting over silly things that we never even discuss before. Either that or me crying over how stupid you made me feel."

"You know why that happens?" This time, I glanced to see his face. "You act like a nagging girlfriend."

That was a slap on my face. I am not his girlfriend, that's what he's trying to say.