12. Rescue

After Ansel and I have talked about the plan, I immediately drove straight to the academy to fetch my lovely girl. But it didn't go as planned. I didn't even get to see her.

"I'm outside your house." I told Maddy over the phone.

"Are you out of your mind?"

"I don't think so."

"You have to leave!" Seryosong sabi niya. I can sense irritation in her voice. "Tres, makinig ka sa'kin, umalis ka na."

"No. I'm not going anywhere without seeing you." I insisted.

"Really? Let me tell you something. If you won't leave now, you won't see me anymore... for good."

Why is this becoming more annoying? I only wanted to see her! And why do I even have to feel threatened?

"Please don't go to that party, Maddy." I said softly instead.

"I won't. I was just messing up with you this morning."

"You promise?"

"You are so not my boyfriend or anybody else in my life." She stated making me lean back to my car seat, heart constricting in pain at what she just said. "...but I promise." She added afterwards and I smiled like an idiot.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Maddy."

"I hope not." Alam kong nang-aasar lang siya.

"Please. Let me see you. One minute lang."

"Not happening."

"Come on Maddy! Stop being mean to your future boyfriend."

"Future ex-boyfriend you say?" Aniya't humagikhik. Oh, I wish I am seeing her laughing right now.

"Go home, Palmer."

"Just one minute. Just stand by the window and let me see you."

"Just dream of me." She said instead.

"Why are you making things so hard for me, love?"

"You are a rule breaker. That's the least you deserve." She stated meaningfully. Did she mean the night I kissed her? "Go home, okay? I'll see you for lunch tomorrow." She said and ended the call right away.

Wait. What? Did she say we'll have lunch together tomorrow? Napangiti ako nang marealize na sinabi niya nga 'yon. Bago umalis, kahit alam kong hindi ko siya makikita, tumingala parin ako umaasang dudungaw siya sa bintana. But Maddy is always Maddy so I didn't really have the chance to see her.

Kinabukasan, maagang nakipagkita sa'kin si Ansel. Sinundo rin namin si Harper na walang kaalam-alam sa plano. What she knew is that we'll just drive her to the airport and before so, we're just going to show her something.

"My parents will kill me." She complained while Ansel changed the tire of his car. We pretended it just deflated out of nowhere when in fact, it was the real plan. "You guys told me this will be just quick." Sa boses niya, alam kong natataranta na talaga siya.

"Yes. It was supposed to be. Harper, hindi ko naman sinadyang masiraan tayo!" Pagdadahilan ni Ansel.

"Well I can't miss my flight!"She shouted impatiently at him.

"You can't be in that flight!" Ansel yelled back who's losing his patience too.

"Oh no." She murmured, looked at me and Ansel with condemning eyes. "You planned this all along! Aren't you guys thinking? My parents will disown me for this!"

"Harper."

"Don't touch me!" She blared out when Ansel tried to reach for her hand.

"Akala ko ba ayaw mong makasal sa lalaki na 'yon?" Sumbat naman ng kaibigan kong nauubusan na talaga ng pasensiya. "Akala ko ba hindi mo kayang sundin ang mga magulang mo this time? Harper, this is your life! So live it the way you want it!" Mahabang pangaral ni Ansel.