29. View Deck

Things will never be the same again—after last night with Tres, after last night when I heard mom and dad's heated argument. Somehow, it made me realize that I have done the biggest mistake of my life. I no longer want to do this—this engagement. Mom was so good at convincing me to believe that this is the best way to keep our company and our family intact. My heart is full of hatred for myself. How did I believe mom when she said that dad's asking for annulment because of our company that's facing its downfall? How did I believe that dad would ever want our family to be broken when in the first place, it's mom all along who cared less. Why am I so stupid?

I have to see Cedric. Knowing that we're both forced to do this for our families, I was so sure that he would agree with me. Cedric has a different story. Because of the separation from his father that he has to deal with for years, he agreed to his mom regarding the engagement in exchange of living with his ill father in one roof. The only difference of our situations was the fact that Cedric knew from the very start that it's me he's arranged to wed with. It's one of the many reasons he left two years ago without a word. Because according to him, he cannot lie to his bestfriend. He cannot even face him after the betrayal waiting to happen.

"Hey there, fiancee." I don't think he meant that because his face screamed sarcasm.

"We have to talk."

"For you to head to my house this early, you sure do." He offered me a seat and afterwards sit down across me. "What is it?"

"You know that we cannot do this." I declared straightforwardly.

"Geez. Thank God you said that. Are you sure? Our parents are gonna go wild." He always jokes. He doesn't take things seriously. "You were so sure we'll do this the other night."

"Yeah. When I was in the dark." I answered in metaphor. "After all the revelations, I don't think I can do this anymore."

"Not that I'm being nosy but do you mind spilling the beans about the revelation you're talking about?"

I was willing to answer that and I was about to do so but an unexpected call interrupted me. Clueless as to why they'd call me, my forehead creased in reaction.

"I have to take this call." Cedric nodded and without having to keep distance, I answered tita Demi's call. "T—tita." I stuttered.

"Darling, I know that you're not in good terms with my son. Nagbabakasakali lang akong baka nagkita kayo o baka alam mo kung nasaan siya." By the raspiness in her voice, I can easily tell that she has been crying all night. Wait. Tres didn't go home last night?

"Tita. Kagabi lang po kami nagkita ni Tres. Buong akala ko din dumiretso siya pauwi sa inyo." Kinakabahan ako bigla. Hindi ko maintindihan ang nararamdaman ko.

"Thanks, hija. Tawagan mo agad ako kapag may nalaman kang impormasyon tungkol kay Tres ha, anak?"

"O—opo. Okay po."

When I slid the small thing back to my purse, Cedric shot me a questioning look. Feeling scared of what worse can possibly happen, I brought my hand to my mouth, making me stop from crying.

"Sydney?"

"Si Tres." I eventually muttered. "He didn't make it home last night. Nag-aalala ako Cedric. Baka may nangyari na sa kanya. Can we find him?" Cedric was too shocked as I did. "Please. We need to find him."

Gratefully, he extended help and accompanied me in finding Tres. My heart is pumping out of my chest in so much fear and worry.

Please be okay.

I uttered my silent prayer while Cedric and I drove from places to places where Tres can possibly be. The two of us both lost track of time; we both skipped lunch because we didn't stop looking.