TWENTY-THREE

xxiii. Captive

Finnick Odair couldn't get the thought of Aurora Evans out of his mind

Finnick Odair couldn't get the thought of Aurora Evans out of his mind. Every part of him ached for her presence, for the reassurance that she was safe. He couldn't think of anything, but the woman he called his best friend, the same woman he wished to call his some day. Her piercing ocean blue eyes that reminded him of home with just one glance, her soft brunette locks that seemed to grow a shade lighter under the sun, the tens of freckles that graced her cheeks and nose, the small dimples that would rarely appear with her smiles- everything about her was all he could think about. The small joking remarks she'd make at probably the worst of times, the brute honesty in her words and actions, the beauty in her emotions whether positive or negative, even the worst parts of her- he wanted it all.

He couldn't bear it.

Every ounce of him was filled with worry for the young girl he loved so dearly. He prayed, though not religious, to any god there was that somehow she was alright, unharmed, even though he knew that was impossible. Aurora was under Snow's watch. She could be dead already and he wouldn't know.

Finnick sat in the dark, silent hospital room he'd been put in. His body was covered with these stark white pajamas that gave him an odd feeling of imprisonment, although, he wasn't at all captive. He sat on the edge of the bed, his legs dangling, trying to block out the horrid thoughts that crossed his mind.

Tears freely streamed down his cheeks, and he sniffled every few seconds. His crying seemed to be the only thing heard by not only himself but the workers who bustled about quietly just down the hall. He knew he must've been loud, breaking the silence that graced the entire floor, but he didn't mind, not one bit.

In his fingers held his trusted grey knot that he couldn't seem to stop fiddling with. His skin was sure to get small burns soon enough with how tightly he gripped the rope, and how fast his fingers moved as he tied and tied. It was the only thing that helped to get his mind off of her, yet at the same time, it was a screaming reminder that she wasn't there.

The only other times he'd felt this broken was when he'd awoken in a hospital bed, similar to the one he was in now, except after his own games. Another was when he'd been told his parents were slaughtered, horribly. But both times, Aurora had been there with him. Never did he wish for her to be the cause of his pain, but that seemed to be the case.

The hope once inside him had disappeared, as the thought of Aurora under Snow's control lingered in his mind. God knows what Snow would do to her, so many things.

"Finnick." The stern voice had shocked him, too lost in his own thoughts to notice the sudden newcomer.

He stopped sniffling, as a sigh escaped his mouth. He didn't have to turn his head to know who it was. Katniss. She stood at the doorway, a menacing glare in her eye directly pointed to him. Katniss was angry with him, anyone could tell. It almost looked as if she were about to kill him. But Finnick knew she wouldn't. She looked broken, tears welled up in her eyes, similar to his own. They were in the same position: their loves were stuck in the Capitol.