FIFTEEN

xv. Fog

Aurora had always struggled with slumber, during the games and even outside

Aurora had always struggled with slumber, during the games and even outside. The nightmares had always managed to haunt her mind like a dark cloud that never seemed to leave. The games had only made it more difficult. What with the rocky ground below them, to the crippling anxiety she'd get stabbed in her sleep, it took her hours to fall asleep. Being with others in the games only made it worse. She feared waking up to their dead corpses around her, or worse, alone, all her supplies taken. She knew that'd be unlikely with Finnick there, she trusted he would stay with her. But then again, the games changed everyone.

Night had fallen quicker than the group had hoped. Due to the lack of ability to fall asleep, Aurora offered to take first watch, but with her injury, and Katniss's inability to trust them, Finnick and Katniss volunteered. The two had a complicated relationship, to say the least. They both had people they loved and cared about they wished to protect with their lives, willing to risk everything for them. Though their similarities, they held a large distrust in each other. Aurora hoped their feelings toward each other wouldn't affect their chances of survival, because as much as they disliked each other, it was crucial they stayed alive. Both because of the rebellion, and because Aurora couldn't take another loved one passing.

The crickets seemed ear deafening, as Aurora laid on the ground, eyes shut, trying desperately to fall asleep. She was almost there, her mind finally beginning to fall into a dream state. She focused on the overwhelming exhaustion that had taken over her body, sorely channeling that feeling to hopefully lead her into a peaceful slumber. She thought happy thoughts, and tried desperately to get rid of the screams of her victims as she sliced through their flesh. She thought of home, the ocean waves crashing onto the shore, her feet dangling off the pier as the cold water splashed against her legs. She thought of Mag's cooking, the perfect smell in the morning she'd wake up to. She imagined her brother, playing tag with her on the beach as a young child. It all helped, and soon enough, she'd fallen down a hole, into the darkness.

Katniss and Finnick sat nearby the two other tributes, who slept soundly against the roots of the tree. Their soft snores gave Finnick a sense of relief that they'd managed to have actually gotten sleep, especially with the lack of food and water. They were slowly drying up, in desperate need for supplication for their dehydration. Their throats were dry, aching even. The closest thing they had to water was the sweat dripping down their faces, which unfortunately wouldn't help. Aurora now wished she had taken that last drink of water before entering the launch tube.

"How's Peeta?" Finnick asked quietly, making sure to not be too loud to awaken them.

Katniss turned her head, surprised Finnick would strike a conversation with her. "He's okay, I think, just... dehydrated like the rest of us."

A silence had fallen over the two, their conversation not lasting very long. Out of nowhere, the Panem anthem began to play loudly through the arena, as the symbol projected across the sky. The sudden noise awoke both Aurora and Peeta, catching Katniss and Finnick off guard.