TWENTY-ONE

xxi. The Lightning Tree

 The Lightning Tree

It was time. Aurora and Finnick spent as long as they could, relishing in the feeling of each other's touch, knowing that soon, they were to separate. The Sun, now, was almost completely gone, as the sky turned dark, the same way it had the day before. So much had happened in one day, so many times they neared the cliff of death, yet none of them had fallen off. Well, except Wiress. It was a shame. They were soon to escape the wretched arena, and Wiress could've been with them. But alas, she'd been taken from them far too early.

Johanna waited anxiously, excited to finally get out. The smell of fish and the dirt that lingered on her skin began to bother her. There was also an aura of death around her that had them all feeling uneasy, even for those who were used to it. She was tired of constantly walking on eggshells and wanted nothing more than to escape.

Aurora wanted to get out, for the same reasons and more. She and Finnick had opened doors to a new relationship they never knew existed. Feelings were established that were unknown to them only a month ago. Aurora could almost see her and Finnick arrive at District Thirteen, finding Mags, Ace, Annie, and Dakota there standing with proud smiling faces. Oh, how she missed them so much. They were her family and only wanted to see them again, especially after all she'd gone through.

Finnick and Aurora had tried their best to make the giddy moment between them last, but they both knew soon enough, it was to end. The voice of Johanna Mason had rung through the beach, gathering all the tributes for their trench to the lightning tree.

"Listen, I'd hate to ruin this absolutely touching moment, but we've gotta go." Aurora and Finnick turned to find Johanna Mason standing there, a smirk on her face.

The two pulled away, distancing themselves. Aurora walked over to Johanna, as Finnick went to grab his trident. Johanna and Aurora turned to Peeta and Katniss who sat a ways away from them, kissing.

Johanna scoffed, before calling them over. "Alright, lovebirds!"

Aurora chuckled at her tone, filled with obvious distaste for the couple. They all got themselves ready, equipping their weapons, making sure they were in easy reach. The plan was set, this was it.

___________________

The sky had now turned completely dark, a few fake stars projected to resemble the real night sky. Aurora gazed at them, with little interest. Her mind flashed back to the night on the train, when she and Finnick spent their evening speaking of the stars. At the memory, a small smile grew on her face. It was only days ago, yet it felt like months.

As they trenched through the jungle, Aurora made sure to keep mind of where she stepped. It was difficult with the dim lighting. Her leg wasn't yet healed, one fall could be painful. They climbed uphill, nearing the lightning tree, until the Panem anthem boomed through the arena, causing all the tributes to look at the sky.