PROLOGUE

Prologue

The scorching hot Sun that had rained down on Aurora's skin felt almost heavenly

The scorching hot Sun that had rained down on Aurora's skin felt almost heavenly. She could bathe in the sunlight for hours and hours, and not a single burn would form. It was as if she were immune to it, like some kind of angel, untouched by the fiery flames. Her mother would always scold her to stay out of the Sun, to keep safe of her light complexion. But either way, the Sun was incapable of darkening the snowy shade of her skin.

And for that was a blessing and a curse. As a child living in District Four, having such a light shade of skin was so drastically different from the norm, that she, and the rest of her family, were known as freaks. She and her brother, Zale, standing only a few inches taller than her, we're not ones unfamiliar with the feeling of being outcasted. People believed they were foreigners, originating from another district because they didn't possess the golden dark skin that all the rest of the District Four citizens possessed.

However, as they grew older, and the children who once shunned them and their skin grew mature, they were cherished for their beauty. The Evans' children held a distinguishable look that most everyone in District Four could recognize. Their coal-black hair, snowy white skin, and at last, their crystal blue eyes that replicated the color of the ocean water in which they spent so much time in.

Despite catching the attention of the few students who went to their school, most people preferred her brother, over Aurora. She was mainly known as "Zale's younger sister." It didn't bother her, not one bit. For her attention had been directed on one person in particular.

Finnick Odair. The young, handsome boy with golden skin, bright blonde hair, a blinding white smile, the one everyone in all of Panem wanted. The darling of the capitol. But Aurora didn't see the charming, confident, sex symbol that the Capitol had painted him as. Instead of seeing his physical beauty, she saw the dark, broken little quiet boy hidden beneath all the stories and makeup.

A child who would go fishing with his father on Sundays, and swim at the beach with his best friend on Mondays. A young, innocent child who believed love was only a thing that existed between his two parents.

Their youth was a time Aurora would soon cherish, for little did either of them know, they would grow into adults quicker than they'd ever imagined.

Of course, as the two grew up together, their connection grew as well. They went from knowing each other's favorite color to the learning of the other's deepest darkest fear. It was a connection that anyone could only wish of having. As the years went by, both of their worlds fell apart. Loved ones were lost, new families were made, hearts were shattered, yet they still managed to stay together. What started out as two lonely children became something extraordinary.

Their lives had been perfect, something out of a movie, until their names were picked from a glass bowl, in front of the country. That day Finnick's name had been called out, Aurora realized it was the beginning of something big. It wasn't until her name was called two years after had the change finally hit her hard.