Chapter 32

LAST CHAPTER

One the drive home
Joke about the kid you used to see
And his jealousy
Breaking hearts has never looked so cool

~~

Gerard sighed as he sat at the vanity in Jamia's room, looking in the mirror. He was just glad that Lindsey was in prison before the prom actually happened. This way he could enjoy his dance in peace without having to worry about her ruining everything. He really wanted to give Frank the perfect night. He wanted him to remember it because Frank's never really been to a dance with someone that he really liked.

"You know, you have really pretty hair," Jamia said as she ran her fingers through his hair. "I wish I could pull of red hair. Or any color, actually."

"You know you could look gorgeous even if you shaved half your head and dyed it like a rainbow," Gerard said. "You're so beautiful. You should try going blonde. You as a blonde in college would be completely unstoppable. Boys will be passing out at your feet because of how attractive you are."

Jamia smiled, setting her dress down on the bed next to Gerard's. Hers was dark blue with little gems around the neckline.

"So, is tonight finally the night where you give it up to Pete?" Gerard asked. "I know he's pretty excited. You don't have to be nervous, he's really sweet and I know that he'll take it slow and easy if you want. It's always a little nerve wracking having a new partner."

His phone buzzed with a call and Jamia looked at it where it was charging on the other side of the room. Jamia looked at Frank's contact name and declined the call.

"Just a random number from someone in Texas," Jamia said, turning the phone off.

"God, aren't random calls so annoying? Especially the sales calls. Like, what do you mean my credit card has a debt on it, I don't even have a damn credit card," he said. "So, anyways, you and Pete?"

"You know, I don't know, I don't think I really want to do it with him," she said. "Pete is cute and nice and all but he's just not my type."

Gerard frowned, turning around to look at her.

"What do you mean? I thought you really liked him?" He said.

"It's just not right," she said.

"Well, why are you going to the prom with him if you don't really like him?" He asked. "Why have you been dating him for so long? You could have ended things a long time ago."

"It's just complicated, I just needed to date him," she said. "Just so that way nobody would look at me twice. It would look suspicious being so close to Frank and not having a boyfriend, you might think that it was me all along."

"I might think what was you?" Gerard asked, frowning in confusion.

"Hey, has Frank ever told you about his ex-girlfriend?" She asked.

Gerard shrugged as he turned back around. God, he was so confused.

"Not really," he said. "Just that she was nice and stuff but they just weren't a pair and they decided it would be best to end things. She died in a car accident, unfortunately."

"It wasn't a very mutual ending," Jamia said with a snort, although there wasn't anything funny about her tone. "It was actually pretty horrific for that girl. He broke her heart and didn't even care, he just pretended like he didn't do anything."

"You're sure we're talking about the same Frank here?" He asked. "That just doesn't sound like him. He would never intentionally break someone's heart. He probably just didn't realize that he hurt her."