Chapter 19

Frank still felt a little bit bad that Gerard had gotten him a gift and he didn't give him anything in return. He has yet to set his guitar down in the two days since he's gotten it. Linda asks him to play her a song every night when she gets home from her shifts. He wasn't the best but she still loved it all the same.

"Be careful or else your fingers will bleed," Linda joked, watching Frank play the guitar on the couch.

"The man at the music shop gave me this book for only a dollar," Frank said. "He told me I was doing really good really fast. Told me I could be someone, make something out of this."

Linda smiled but the two both knew it wasn't true. It wasn't practical. They knew he needed to go to college, get a good scholarship and a good job. Linda didn't want her son to continue on with the way they lived, she wanted something better for him. Frank wanted a better life for his future family, too. He didn't want his family to work so hard just to survive on the bare minimum.

"I was thinking that maybe I can play a bit in the streets when I get better to help earn some money," he said.

"I think that sounds like a great idea," Linda agreed. "And you keep all the money you earn from that for yourself."

"No, that's okay, it can go to the bills or the rainy day fund," Frank said.

"Frankie, you deserve it," she said. "Keep that money for yourself. Save up for maybe some new movies or to take Gerard out to dinner. Maybe even save up enough to get yourself an electric guitar."

"That would be cool," Frank said. "I could really rock out then."

Linda smiled, cleaning the dishes from their lunch.

"Frankie, play me a song I can dance to," she said.

Frank smiled, trying his best to play an upbeat song that he couldn't remember the name of. He smiled as Linda danced around the kitchen, her skirt swaying around her. It was moments like this that Frank never wanted to end but of course it did when her phone buzzed, giving her the alert that it was time to leave for work.

"I unfortunately got stuck with the graveyard shift so I won't be home until two," Linda said.

"In the morning?" Frank asked and she nodded. "Mom, they can't keep putting you in these shifts, there has to be some kind of rule against it."

"It's fine, sweetheart, I don't mind," she said. "Besides, the best tippers usually come later in the night."

"Okay, well, be careful," he said.

Linda smiled and kissed his cheek.

"You're the sweetest," she said. "I'll see you in the morning. Maybe you can invite Jamia over, help keep you company."

Frank smiled and nodded, watching her leave. He got up and put the guitar down. He cleaned up everything, turning off the lights and lighting candles instead. Gerard came up just when he was supposed to, giving him a hug.

"I missed you," he said.

"I missed you too," Frank replied.

Frank held out a single red rose.

"I was gonna get you a whole bouquet but it turns out that roses are expensive so I just got you one," he said.

Gerard smiled, gently taking it from his hand.

"I love it, thank you," he said.

"And I was thinking that maybe we could...you know," Frank trailed off as he looked down, his fingers playing with Gerard's jacket zipper.