Chapter Thirty Nine: Raining Violence

Song: Meet Me on the Battlefield by SVRCINA

*

*

My memories were in shambles the moment I opened my eyes. It was like confusion and pain attacked me all at once, and my body seemed to groan in pain when I quickly sat up, finding myself in a hospital bed surrounded in a room painted light blue. To my left, there's a window that reveals the city below me.

I see Colton, who scrambles up from the place in his chair and quickly by my side. "Take it easy, there." He says, laying a gentle hand on my shoulder and pushing me back down. I cringe when I see IVs sticking out of my hands, yet I do what he says.

He looks tired, his dark brown hair is messy and sticking up from his running his hands through it constantly, I'm assuming. He's dressed in black sweat pants and a simple white shirt that reveals his scars and parts of his tattoos. 

After I get over the initial shock of my surroundings, I feel slightly nauseated and drowsy. "What happened exactly?" I ask.

I remember what happened, I just needed some confirmation that is was real. That several masked men did in fact break into my apartment and did in fact hold me at gunpoint and beat me. I shudder when I remember the intense pain the moment the blades of their knives sunk deep into my flesh, scraping bone.

"You were attacked." Colton replies, his face emotionless.

Ah, so my memories were indeed legit. How unfortunate.

"These men are connected to you, aren't they, Colton?" I ask.

"Why do you think that?"

 "I figured they have something to do with you because, well, when they were beating me senseless they said 'This will teach the bastard not to mess with us'." I reply.

Colton sighs deeply, running a hand through his hair for what must be the millionth time today. I feel scared. I won't tell him how I feel because I don't want to add more stress to him but....I can't help but feel scared.

These men - they were so dangerous, so strong. They were clothed in all black, even their faces were concealed besides their eyes. Between their eyes they both had a distinct, red tattoo in the shape of an upside down cross.

But I feel scared because what if this happens again? What if this happens again and I don't wake up like I did this time?

"Colton, will this happen again?" I ask. This time, I don't even try to hide the fear or worry on my face.

His eyes meet mine, they're full of emotions I struggle to identify. They're a dark blue and they seem to shimmer.

"Colton?"

"I don't know, Addison. I don't know. But what I do know is that I can't keep doing this. I can't keep putting you in harm's way because of my lifestyle." He says. As attached as I have become to Colton, I don't blame him for thinking that. But he would be something that would be hard for me to let go.

Hell, I don't want to let go of him. I know he's dangerous, but I refuse to be just another person who has turned his back on him.

"That's why I've.....I've decided to leave the gang behind," He adds, stunning me, "For the safety of us both."

This could be a step in the right direction for Colton. This could be the decision that brings him to the brink of redemption. This could ensure a brighter future for him.

And maybe he could finally find the compassion he so desperately needs.

Without thinking, I reach over and cup his hand with mine. He doesn't jerk away, instead, he seems to like it because his cheeks turned a faint shade of pink and he shyly turns his eyes to the floor.