Chapter Five: Peel the Avocado

Song: Good to be Alive by Jason Gray

*

*

*

So, evening approaches and I eagerly await for the phone call that will change my life. I tap away anxiously on the counter, my blonde hair falling into my face from the loose pony tail I am wearing.

I watch the phone.

Waiting like a predator until-

Ring!

Ring!

Ring!

In boa-constrictor speed, my hand shoots out and picks up the phone.

"Hello?!" I ask excitedly.

"Honey? Can you pick up a toe-nail clipper for your father when you get the chance?"

"Mom!" I exclaim in frustration while facepalming myself. My excitement shrivels away until it's nothing.

"Are you PMSing too? I can't believe we're still synced-"

"Look, mom. Just order those toe-nail clippers on Amazon, I'm kind of busy and I'm waiting for an important phone call."

"Oh, I understand honey. Call me when you get the chance, our favorite clothing is on sale! We have to get some because that will show Sue that we have more money than she do-"

I hang up and roll my eyes.

My family can be so shallow.

I go back to stalking the phone, waiting for the phone call that will change my life. The minutes tick by and my eye twitches. My fingers drum against the counter and I watch both the phone and the clock.

Tick.

Tock.

Tick.

Tock.

I'm definitely going crazy. Any minute now....

Ring!

Ring!

Ring!

I pick up the phone once again. "Hello?!"

"Hedo? Dis is Mircosoft compuder, calling because dere's a problem width your compuder."

"What? No there isn't! Be gone, scammer, shoo, shoo! I will have you know scamming people to make them believe they owe money is wrong!"

I hang up, sinking back into my seat. Foreign men call people sometimes in an attempt to scam people for money.

Silly foreign man.

"Hey babe, you did fantastic!" Owen says, bursting through the front door and ripping me from the bar-stool and squeezing me in a bear hug.

I giggle against his chest. "Thank you."

"I mean it. You are becoming a star." He says, kissing the top of my head.

He brings my head up and kisses me lovingly. I return the kiss fervently and it helps keep my mind off of-

Ring!

Ring!

Ring!

I gasp against Owen's lips and tear myself from his arms. I sprint to the phone with zest and pick it up.

"Hello?"

"Am I speaking to Miss Coleman?" A deep man's voice says.

"This is she." My heart rate picks up.