Spectral Illusions Chapter 8

Good and bad news.

Bad news: right, so I'm telling you now; this is a filler. Yes, it's most probably crappier than the other chapters.

Good news: next chapter's the last chapter of flashbacks before the proper story begins!

Good news (#2): this chapter's over two thousand words more than usual! Now Beth can't complain!

Enjoy this chapter!

______

Chapter 8:

~~~

It was silent, the only sound in the room being the constant ticking of the clock on the wall, illuminated by the light of a single, flickering candle placed on the table in the centre of the room.

With a sigh, Mayako folded her arms, glancing at the odd, green-clad, bowl-haired ninja in front of her. She couldn't believe she'd actually agreed to doing this when Kakashi had proposed it. "Gai...you were rejected by my father when you asked to join the ANBU, correct?" She asked, causing him to nod.

"He said I wasn't suited for the ANBU! How can someone so youthful as I not be suited for the ANBU?!" Gai shouted, rising to his feet and raising a fist into the air.

"Gai, shut up and sit back down," at her words, Gai instantly dropped back into the seat at the wooden table, his mouth shut. "I have a proposition, but you can't tell anyone about it."

"What?"

"I'm forming my own team to work under my father's nose." She replied, glancing down and closing her eyes. "My father won't allow certain things that will benefit the village. I'm not trying to start an uprising or whatever, because if anyone is suited to be Hokage, it's him. I want to have the freedom of working undercover to protect the village."

"That sounds great and all...but why are you telling me?" Gai asked slowly, frowning.

"I want you to join my team, Gai." She said, leaning her hands on the table. "Team Ōkami. We work in the dark to protect the Leaf. I want to protect the village my father's predecessors have fought to keep safe. Will you help me?"

Gai's eyes widened. "B-but isn't it just a team of ANBU?"

"No." She shook her head. "However, the three that currently make up the team are."

"So...would I get an opportunity to become an ANBU too?"

"Not officially. You'd get a replica of my mask, and a unique ANBU uniform but that's all-"

"I'll join!" Gai exclaimed, leaping to his feet. "I'll help you, Mayako-chan!"

"Very well." She turned away from him, heading over to the cabinet not too far from her. Then, she reached into the top drawer, pulling out a replica of her wolf-like mask, except the designs were painted green. She also pulled out a similar outfit to the ANBU uniform, except it was full black and had a dark black cloak. She tossed the items to Gai, who caught them easily.

"Who else is on this team?" Gai asked, glancing at the clothing that Mayako had given him.

"I'm the leader, and we also have Kakashi and Itachi."

Gai instantly grew an anime vein. "Kakashi's on the team?!"

"He was the first person I asked." She shrugged, before turning back to him. "Kakashi and I are partners. We do everything together."

"So you tutor Itachi together?" Gai asked, causing Mayako to pause.

She didn't answer him, instead turning her head away. "We have a mission to get to, Gai. Hurry up and suit up."