Chapter 10

I mentally groaned when I realized that I was late for school. These things are getting habitual. I am not a morning person; therefore I got a headache from last week’s events. It has been one week since the party, and Paul hasn’t even remembered what he did or may be he did remember. I have not been getting time to ask Cameron about what happened. It has been a week since I have met him. I guess he just wants to stay away from a dumb girl like me.

I quickly took a shower, allowing the water to soak my skin and bring peace to my mind. After washing my hair and brushing my teeth, I dried my hair and decided to tie it into a ponytail today. I was just too lazy to care about how I look at this hour of time. I heard that there would be an announcement from my English teacher today. I wonder what she is going to say. I hope it’s something good.

I was heading down the stairs until at the last step; I tripped on a paper ball or something. I got up, searching to see if anyone saw my embarrassment. I let out a breath of relief until I saw Maria laughing there while holding her stomach. She wiped out the tears in her eyes and looked at my red face as I stared at her with fury. I was shocked that I didn’t glare at her. Instead, I just laughed at my stupidity and clumsiness.

“You’re so clumsy, you don’t even know Sienna!” She exclaimed. I forgot that today I was carpooling with my best friend.

“Shut up, and let me have my breakfast first.” I scowled at her as she raised her hands in surrender.

“Wow you are snappy when you wake up from sleep. And red.” She controlled her laughter. “By the way, I didn’t throw that paper ball there. So don’t you blame it on me.”

I quickly finished my cereal and shrugged off my embarrassment. I am such a fool. “Let’s go Maria.” I called out to Maria who was now watching TV in the living room.

“So desperate to go to school huh? Any reasons?” She wiggled her eyebrows at me.

“Aren’t I supposed to ask you that question? Oh yeah, you have not told me about your date with Brian. You have to tell me all the details please.” I pleaded her and she nodded as we entered the car.

“Here, you drive.” She handed me the keys as I stepped into her Mercedes Benz. This girl’s extremely rich. And just ‘cause I don’t have a car, doesn’t mean I can’t drive.

“I’m scared I will ruin the exterior Mar.”

“Just drive and let me do the speaking okay?”

“Okay.” I decided to let it go and drive with a not-so-quick speed.

She began telling me the story. “Okay so he took me to this fancy Italian restaurant, and he was such a gentleman, making me impressed. I tried not to act so clingy, because I don’t think he likes those types of dates where he is asked about too many personal questions. So I wore the dress that I showed you the other day, remember? And he looked so amazing with his fancy car and formal clothes. It was so wonderful and dreamy.” She gazed dreamily into the sky as I drove her car at a gentle speed.

“You drive like my grandmother. No wait, she is a thousand times faster than you Sien.” She commented as she came back to Earth and I glared at her angrily.

We switched places and she sat in the driver’s seat while I went through the radio searching for a perfect song to hear. A new song by Taylor Swift came.

All I knew this morning when I woke

Is I know something now,

know something now

I didn't before

And all I've seen

since 18 hours ago

his green eyes and freckles and your smile in the back of my mind making me feel right

I just want to know you better know

you better know

you better now

I just want to know you better know

you better know you better now

I didn’t know that I was also singing along until Maria commented, “Sien, you should join the Solo Singing Program in school. You’re going to rock the whole school.

“You know that I have stage fright right? Plus I am not good.” I told her.

“You are amazing.”

We reached school 5 minutes later and we were late. “See we both are late because of you.” Maria said as she looked at me with a fake glare.

I shrugged and stood up straigtening my clothes and tidying my hair.

We walked to our class. Today all the English classes were joined.

“Settle down class----“ Our teacher began speaking but Maria and me cut her off by our late entrance. “Fashionably late I guess?” My teacher, Ms. Grace spoke sarcastically, but I knew she was joking. She motioned us to our seats and we quickly settled to our assigned places for our class today.

“Okay, so as I was saying—“ Again she got cut off by Cameron. He entered the class, carefree of the class staring at him and then bursting into laughs because the teacher was interrupted once again. They stopped once they realized that they had laughed at The Cameron Hamshaw. I rolled my eyes at their ‘superiority’. They sent him sorry looks and I couldn’t help but snort.

“So I have a big announcement to make. Guess what’s coming up!” Ms. Grace decided to ask us to guess what’s going to happen.

Everybody voiced their opinions expect for me. I was not really a good guesser. The classroom grew noisy as they thought about the possibilities of events.

“Why don’t you just tell us Ms.?” Cameron spoke up, looking annoyed at the growing noise around him. Finally!

“You all are going for a fieldtrip for a few days. It’s going to be camping, but you all will get a task after the trip and answer descriptive questions about what all happened and narrate your whole trip. So, I know it’s going to be fun and all—“ She was cut off again by the cheers of my classmates and she grew annoyed. Deciding to make it a free class, she sat back on her seat.

Maria sent me a happy look from her seat all the way to the back. She gave me that you-have-to-go face and I shrugged.

Cameron, who was seated beside me today, was sitting on his seat with no expression on his face. I decided to speak up. “Cameron, are you going?”

He sent me a confused look but I knew why he hadn’t replied. He had his earphones plugged in his ear. I shook my head to say never mind.

This is going to be a Long and Interesting Field Trip. That's if I'm going.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++