Keep Crashing Till The Parties Over

"You've all put a lot of hard work and time into this show and I'm proud of every one of you." The director started, standing in the rented out part of the bar. A toast held high in his hand, eyes all on him. "We've made it! The first season is completed and we even were picked up for a second season." The crowd cheered to that, clinking their glasses with the people around them. "I'll see you all back on set in a few weeks. Get some rest, practice your lines, and enjoy the break. I'm gonna need all of you well rested. Anyway, to us!"

"To us!" The room erupted into cheers once more, glasses clinked and drinks were quickly swallowed down. Ben sat near the back of the room, not caring much for the celebration, but resting easy at the realization his break would match up with Joe's spring break. Glancing at his phone, he still hadn't received a text from Joe, but he just assumed the boy may be busy. He shrugged it off and took a sip from his glass, planning on going home sooner rather than later.

He hoped now that Joe had finished his midterms he would be able to talk before he eventually fell asleep. Knowing the boy would be excited to share his results. Ben had noticed how hard the boy had studied and couldn't imagine him getting anything less than a perfect grade. A small smile spread across his face and he hid it behind his wine glass, taking a sip and relaxing.

Joe sat with his knees pulled tight to his chest and his back against the door. His head was held in his hands, trying to push the wave of thoughts crashing into him from all directions. Thoughts of how things could have been different if he had done things differently. If he visited her everyday. Even checking on her knowing she was sick... he could have saved her.

What would happen now? She already lost so much who would be left to make sure she was properly buried and what if she didn't want to be buried? So many questions were running through his head he couldn't think or concentrate. His breathing was still heavy from his fit and the anxiety of the situation, making his chest hurt. Feeling lightheaded, he leaned his head back against the door, praying Rami had left so he could truly be alone.

A knock at the door told him he wasn't alone, but the knock didn't echo through the bathroom. Instead it echoed into their dorm. Joe didn't move muscle hoping Rami would either get it or the person would leave. Another knock and he could hear shuffling behind the door. Why couldn't the rest of the world just like his had?

"Um, excuse me? Is a... Mr. Joe Mazzello here?" An officer stood behind the other side of the door, hat held in his hand. He was older, graying hair sprouted from his head and tired eyes peaked behind glasses resting on his nose, and seemed like he was about to retire any day now.

Rami looked confused but answered anyway, "look I don't know what's going on, but he's not feeling very well. Do you need to speak to him?" He didn't mean to come off rude or defensive, he just wanted to protect Joe from whatever it was he had gotten into.

"No, no I understand. This is a pretty jarring situation and from what I can tell he was close to the woman." Wrinkled fingers crawled around an envelope sticking out from his breast pocket. "Please give this to him. And I'm very sorry for your loss." The older man gave a sympathetic look, completely ignoring the smell of alcohol that reeked into the hall, and left just as quickly as he had come.

Rami slowly closed the door behind him, flipping the envelope over to see Joe's name had been printed in neat cursive writing. Chewing on his bottom lip, he pondered what it could be. The officer said he was sorry for his loss so maybe someone back home passed away? What was with the envelope then? The younger boy decided not to dwell on it, knowing Joe would open up as soon as he was ready.

Shuffling over to the bathroom door once more, he bent over and slid the envelope underneath. "This was just delivered to me by an officer. Said to give it to you." And with that he left the boy alone. Knowing it was probably better to just let him be for now if something serious had happened.