Saying Hello Was Much Easier Than This Goodbye

Fighting off sleep never seemed so hard, Joe's eyelids fluttering. The warmth that settled around him didn't help much, pulling him further into the world of dreams. Where no one could bother them. Strong arms were wrapped protectively around his waist, Ben's chin rested on top of messy ginger locks. A hand came up to rest of top of Ben's, he squeezed. Afraid if he let go Ben would disappear right before his eyes.

It hurt, knowing they had become so close only for Ben to have to go back. His comment last night not helping Joe's aching heart. There was no way he could ask Ben to give up everything for him. No matter how much it would hurt to see him go, he could never do that to someone he cared about so much. So, he held onto this moment instead. Listening to the blonde's relaxed breathing behind him and the feeling of their bodies pressed together. Joe felt safe, having strong arms wrapped so tightly around him.

Sleep made his eyelids droop further, his eyes practically closed at this point. He decided to shift in the arms around him to keep himself awake a bit longer. Facing Ben, he could see just how beautiful he looked even with the minimal light streaming in from the window above the bed. His features were so soft, all the stressing melting from his person. Lips were swollen and his hair was an absolute mess from all his pulling.

A sad smile etched into his features, tracing Ben's jaw. Then his lips, his nose, and then down to his adam's apple. Joe would miss him. The way he laughed, his smile, the look in he gave every time their eyes met. He would miss the surprises, the late night talks, and the way the world faded around them. Not a care in the world when he was with Ben, and he was so very thankful for that.

If someone had told Joe a month ago he would be able to save money instead of living paycheck to paycheck, or that he would have been able to go to the Golden Globes, or that he would have fall for a stranger. He would have laughed right in their face before sliding them their coffee and hoping they liked the taste of paper from the straw he gave them.

He had never been more happy or thankful for anything in his whole life. Joe was so very thankful for the people in his life. From his sister who helped him fight for his dreams, to Gwilym who made sure he gave the dorky blonde another chance, to Rami who had been there for him since the day he arrived on campus, to Lucy who made his friend so very happy when he deserved it most. It would have to thank them all. Doing something special for all of them.

A yawn was forced out of him and he knew he wouldn't be able to fight off sleep any longer. Burying his head into the crook of Ben's neck, he sighed deeply at the scent that greeted him. It was sea water and something, just, so Ben. He loved it all the same though. Falling asleep as soon as he allowed his eyes to close.

When he woke up, Joe shifted around and noticed the body that had been next to him was gone. The warmth in the bed missing. The ginger shot up from the bed, panicked. Did Ben regret last night? Had he said something wrong? Maybe the blonde wasn't ready for 'I Love You's'... but that couldn't be right he had said it first.

"Joe, baby. What's wrong, Love." The sound of Ben's concerned voice helped him relax a little bit.

Ben was standing at the open door, fresh clothes on and two bags in his hand. He smiled softly before setting the bags down and moving to sit on the edge of the bed.

"I thought... maybe you left without telling me." Joe muttered, looking away almost as if being ashamed for thinking that way.

"No, of course not, Love. I had to run and get us some clean clothes and get some breakfast." He moved towards the first bag and took out a t-shirt, jeans, and a pair of boxers. "Hope you don't mind wearing my clothes. I wasn't too keen on bothering Rami early in the morning."