Here To Surprise You, Babe

Anna took Ben's hand, pulling him to her. She smiled at him, trying to get him to move his gaze from the bar where Joe had disappeared to and back on her. It worked, more or less, the blonde at least swayed while she danced around him. They stayed like that for longer than Ben realized, feeling like time had been frozen around him.

"I'll... um," he cleared his throat, "I'll be right back. Sorry." Mumbling an apologize which she barely heard was the last time she saw Ben for the rest of the night. The room felt like it was closing around him, but that was ok. He was used to this happening.  His lungs forgetting how to pull in air. It was a comforting feeling when the world was crashing.

Hands came up to loosen his tie, unbutton a few buttons on his shirt, and pull the necklace from around his neck. The pressure seemed to fade when the clasp was released and he could hold the ring in his palm. He let himself forget again, forget he wasn't untouchable.

"Joe, what's wrong? Why aren't you dancing with Ben?" Joe huffed, annoyed. Sliding into the seat next to Gwilym, the boy snatched whatever the taller boy hand been drinking and knocked it back. The brunette didn't complain, taking this as a sign it was time to flag himself before he did something stupid anyway. Joe ordered another drink, hissing his order at the bartender who just rolled his eyes.

"Ben, your asshole friend, asked to dance with me. I said no and he grabbed me and asked if I wanted to dance with a winner and 'celebrate' after. Who the fuck does he think he is." Another drink was chugged, another annoyed huff leaving from between Joe's lips. "I mean really, fuck that guy."

Gwilym didn't know what to say at this point, still swimming through a sea of confusing. That certainly didn't sound like the Ben he knew. The boy seemed quite drunk, maybe that had been the problem. "Where is Ben anyway? I haven't seen him since you walked away..."

"Probably dancing with his date or maybe getting into her pants. She looked more than willing anyway." Jealously was dripping from each word and Gwilym had caught every last drop of it. He would have to clear the air up with Joe once he talked to Ben. Eyes scanned the crowed floor, but his friend was nowhere in sight. He sent a quick text to Luce, hoping she'd get it, before walking around the club to find the blonde in question.

What finally shook Ben from his spiraling thoughts was the sound of the door opening to the far right of him. His body was leaned over the sink, both hands braced on the cool surface while his face was inches from the mirror, his breath fogging the glass.

"Ben, are you ok?"

A hand was placed on the boy in question's shoulder. The body beneath it tensed before Ben slowly turned around. "Gwil..." The brunette hadn't seen Ben so small since college when the nights dragged on and the world seemed to collapse in around them. Since the day the girl who never deserved Ben to begin with had crushed the poor boy's heart under her while she shagged another man.

Gwilym never liked her. There was always something off about her. It was funny that she was never around, never was able to have dinner with him and Ben when they'd go out or watch a movie when Gwilym came over their flat. Once, when over their shared flat, the giant had sworn he saw another man's shirt hanging out on top of the dirty laundry basket when he walked past their tiny laundry room but had brushed it off as his imagination. If he would have known his friend had been so in love with this girl he would have show the man the offending garment and ended it all there. Gwilym thinks if he had the power to rewind time he would have. Even if it crushed his friend then, at least it wouldn't have been as hard as it was.

"I can't believe I was such a dick out there. I mean, really. I should have just told him that bird wasn't my date just someone my assist picked for me. I just was so nervous Gwil... I haven't wanted someone like this since," he stopped and Gwilym already knew what he was going to say.