Chapter 5: Cold

You

I feel like I have been walking forever. Or in circles. But there's no way. I haven't seen anything familiar either. The trees all looked different. Maybe too different. Maybe they were so different that I couldn't tell anymore. I sighed and stopped walking. Sitting in the snow. Maybe I should turn back, but if I am walking in circles? Would going back even make any sense? Wouldn't I just be walking in circles again? I am so confused. 

I sighed and looked down. Gently motioning towards my soul and pulling out, holding my palm open as I held my soul. I saw it floating there and examined it. I always do when I have the free time. It was strange. It was two different colors merged together. Orange and red. Red was obviously for determination, but I learned that orange was for curiosity. Which is understandable, especially since I get curious about everything. It's terrible actually.

I quickly put it back after I heard a stick snap. I looked around and only saw snow and trees. Maybe it was the monster version of a squirrel? Is that even a thing? I don't know. 

Snap

I heard it again and I whipped my head around. I had a mini soul attack and let out a deep breath.

"Damn it Grillby! You scared me half to death!" I yelled as I saw a fire man holding a lantern. He looked confused, I think, as he looked over at me.

"I apologize. I didn't mean to, but how do you know me?" He said as he stepped closer.

"Oh, I have heard Sans talking about you and your bar. He has talked about your appearance a lot and I just assumed. I apologize if you aren't him." I said. Even though I knew he was Grillby and that Sans, at least not in this timeline, hasn't been talking about him.

"Ah, you're a friend of Sans?" He said as he motioned for me to follow him. So I ran up to him and walked next to him. I shrugged and looked up at the sky.

"Yes? No? I'm not sure. I just had a fight with him and he was not happy when he left. He said he needed time to think. I don't think that's a good sign."

"Sans? Thinking? I don't know what good can come from that." Grillby joked and I smiled and laughed. I knew it was a joke, so I didn't take it seriously.

"I suppose. But, I have a random question for you? When we get to your bar, that is." I shivered and rubbed my arms with my hands. "Burr." 

Grillby rolled his eyes, I think, and he locked his arm with mine. I immediately felt warm and smiled at him, his flames turned a tint of pink before they turned to their original colors.

"Thank you. You are very hot." I said. Without even thinking about it. But he broke out into a fit of laughter and looked over at me. He nodded.

"I appreciate the compliment and you spend too much time with Sans if that's the pun you go for." 

"Pun? Comp?Liment?" I say as I begin to blush, "Oh my gosh! I am so sorry! I-I didn't mean it like that! I-I was just thanking you and that came out and oh my god! That's embarrassing!" I say as I hid my face in my hands and Grillby chuckled.

"No problem, so, what's your name? You already know mine, wouldn't it be fair if I knew yours?" He said as we get back to Snowdin. We walk into the bar and I nodded.

"My name is Hanae. It's very nice to meet you Grillby." I say as he lets go of my arm and walks back behind the bar. He was greeted by many other monsters before extending his hand. I took it and we shook each others hands.

"Grillby. Nice to meet you Hanae." He says as he lets go. He grabs a dirty cup and starts to clean it. I smiled and ordered some fries. He went into the kitchen then came back out and gave me my order.

"It's on the house, Hanae. Think of it as a welcome present from me to you." He said and I blushed a bit. 

"Th-Thank you Grillby!" I smiled and he nodded.

"Anything for you."

"Anything?" I say and he nods, "Well, I was staying with Sans until I figured my shit out right? And we just had a fight.." I start fidgeting and playing with my fingers, "Would you mind if I stayed here for a couple nights? I promise to get a job and look for a place of my own as soon as I can." 

Grillby chuckled and nodded his flame head, "Of course Hanae. You could even work here and you wouldn't have to leave. Stay as long as you want. You can start work tomorrow as well. Just serving the monsters. If you think of anything else? Feel free to tell me."

I nodded and smiled, "Thank you Grillby! You are so sweet!" I said as I reached across the countertop and hugged him. I saw his flame turn a dark maroon color and I giggled. Cute, but no one's blush was cuter than the dark  blue one Sans had.

Sans, I miss him.