It's Been a While

"Kehlani Monroe Brown, will you be my girlfriend... again?" Blake asks. Here he is, my first love that I experience so much with through laughter and tears, professing his love for me along with presenting me a necklace in his hands where I know I need to make a choice. I might dig single-hood in the ditch with the shovel scooping the dirt over my years of being a single woman for good, yet my heart wants what it wants. While I ponder the thought, recollection of memories plays back in front of my eyes like a movie. And only I know the answer for his question.

My eyes blink rapidly as tears slowly stream from my face down to my chin. "Yes! Yes, I do!" I nod eagerly as I observe the corners of Blake's mouth expanding and takes the necklace out of the black velvet box. Why the hell would I say no to him when we share two daughters along with raising Kelly and Theodore as well as having history together? I honestly couldn't see Blake not being in my life. My heart keeps a space for Blake after seven years of me becoming a free, independent mother and woman.

"Turn around." I do what he says as I feel the cold chain of the necklace being secured from the nape. I turn to face Blake walking around me, standing across from me prior to his arms snaking around my waist and pulling me close in his embrace. My arms find their way wrapping around the back of his neck. In seconds, he angles his head, draws his face closer to mine for our lips to spark immediately after our lips sync.

Suddenly, the response of gasps, squeals, and hollers of elation breaks out and I break the kiss to notice our families cheering behind us from the inside of my mom's house. Oh, gosh! I giggle to myself and bury my head at the crook of Blake's neck, enjoying the merry day of giving, reminiscing, and celebrating Jesus.

That was three years ago and grinning at the necklace in front of my reflection of a mirror has me reminisce that snowy moment of that Christmas along with my official sister in law, Savon announcing her pregnancy to us—my family and Blake's family as well as Sasha because she celebrated Christmas with us. Nine months later on August 5th, my nephew Holden Pierce Brown was born. One of my brothers, Kevin thought it was weird to name him after a character in The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. He wanted their son to be named Enos because it means man, so he is their first born son and also, Kevin liked how the name sounded. And the other good news is the fact that I have regained joint custody of Harper with Blake just two months before Holden was born.

"KeKe Lani," I pivot on my heels to see Theodore running towards me with a paper in his hand and a radiant beam on his face. "I got five stickers in a row and I got a reading award!"

"That is great news, Theo!" I grin, crouching down to his level and wrap my arms around him just as I feel his arms snake around me.

"It looks like we'll be going to get hot chocolate," The husky voice that I'm used to hearing replies. "How do you feel about that, Theo Bear?"

Theo pulls away from our embrace with his eyes growing big and his mouth agape. "Yeah!" Theo nods rapidly. Just then, a loud, yet delicate sneeze takes place in the background.

I walk towards Kelly, who has the thick white percale bed sheets covering her body and a tinge of redness is on the tip of her nose. While Tessa, Harper, and Theo have school today, we're at Blake's apartment to be by Kelly's side. "Dad, can I have hot chocolate, too?" Kelly asks with a rasp lacing in her sweet voice.

"Of course, you can, Kells. But, you have to drink your water first. We'll bring you and your sisters hot chocolate, okay?" Blake leans forward to give Kelly a kiss on her temple and Kelly nods before another sneeze occurs, in which Kelly blocks her sneeze with the long sleeve of her shirt.

"Well, let's go, buddy." Blake hands Theo his navy bubble jacket and Blake rams his arms through the sleeves of his jacket. "You guys have a good time!"