Chapter Thirty Eight: His Promise

Start from the beginning

He had lost interest in everything long ago. He felt detached from life, but somehow manages to survive one step at a time.

And the fact that he could harm the only good thing in his life terrified him. He's so afraid to love, yet so afraid to be alone. Fear controls him as does denial, and he desperately chases perfection with broken legs.

And as he approaches the apartment building, his heart rate spikes. It beats like a cadent in his chest because there's red and flashing lights blinding him.

His pace quickens, his eyes dancing frantically about, quickly analyzing the scene around him. Fire trucks, officer vehicles, and ambulances are gathered around, and people in uniforms are either surveying the clues in the midst of chaos, or scrambling about in and out of the building.

Yellow tape that reads in bold words, DO NOT CROSS, tries to restrict him from entering the scene. In an instant, he has pushed himself through the boundaries that cages the public off and finds himself lost among the chaos.

Adrenaline filled chaos that feeds his anxiety.

"Sir, you're not supposed to be over here!" An officer frantically shouts, rushing over to him at once.

"Where is she?" He questions quickly.

The officer pays no attention to his question, and instead, lays a firm guiding hand on Colton's shoulder. "Sir-"

"Don't touch me!" He exclaims, shrinking away from the man's touch as tremors creep up his spine. His eyes darken and he resists the urge to handle the situation with violence.

He knew getting arrested would lead to many unwanted questions.

"I said, where is she?" Colton enunciates each syllable with a threatening tone to his voice.

At that moment, paramedics burst from the open double doors of the apartment building wheeling an unconscious, battered woman. Their faces looked panicked as they shouted orders amongst one another and rush into a nearby ambulance.

Colton goes to lunge towards the ambulance, but he is quickly held back by a few officers. "Get your fucking hands off of me, you bastards, let me go!" He growls fiercely, desperately fighting the hands that force him back and hold him captive.

"That's her, that's her! I have to go see her!" He yells frantically, becoming more agitated and even more anxious and worried as he watched the ambulance speed off, sirens roaring and lights flashing.

Colton never dealt with stressful situations very well. Often times, he would find himself lashing out and becoming violent. He was close to losing himself in the throes of his aggressive ways, but he knew he had to keep his anger under some restraint if he wanted to stay out of trouble.

"Who are you to the victim?" The officer questions.

"Her boyfriend." He blurts out. Even Colton himself is shocked at his own words.

"There has been an incident that involved your girlfriend," The officer informs, "She was viciously attacked in her apartment earlier this afternoon. Gang violence is possible."

Colton's jaw clenched and unclenched. He knew that this specific incident was his fault. He should have known that his enemies were always watching him, waiting for his moment of weakness to shine.

And now he's dragged Addison into his own dark world.

He didn't want to waste anymore time. He needed to get to the hospital as soon as possible. "Move out of my damn way, I need to go see her." He says, pushing his way through the small crowd that has gathered.