Dining with The Beast

Start from the beginning

He bowed again and gestured for Beldon to step from the room.

Walking out, the door closed behind him and Iago vanished into the shadows, only his eyes still visible.

"Oh that's scary," Beldon whispered, staring.

"I know," Iago said calmly and Beldon instantly felt guilty for commenting.

"I'm sorry," he said but Iago cut him off.

"Nothing to be sorry for, sir, for it is true. Shall we?"

He heard Iago walk and saw him walk through a patch of moonlight before vanishing into the shadows again. Following mostly by sound, Iago led the way down from the East Wing and across to the West Wing, up to one of the rooms that had been locked during the day.

Walking in, he stopped.

The dining room was huge, more like a hall, too big for just two people. There was a huge lit fireplace on the right end wall and shadows covered the left end wall. The table was ladened with a brilliant array of food, brilliantly presented, an amazing smell surrounding him, making him realise just how hungry he was after the afternoon of wandering the castle.

"You're late."

The growl from the shadows made him freeze, then slowly look around.

"I asked you not to be late."

Beldon bit his lip and narrowed his eyes... then changed his mind about snapping.

"I apologise," he said calmly and looked around the room. There was only one chair at the table at the opposite end to the shadows, set before the fire, as far from The Beast as possible without moving Beldon off the table completely.

"You may sit," The Beast said and Beldon took his place, moving the coat tails out of the way and tucking the chair in.

His plate was already filled and as he picked up his knife and fork, silence fell.

For the first few minutes there was nothing but quiet, until Beldon finally spoke up. He had been surrounded by silence all day and was tired of it.

"Such a long table and so much food," he commented, "Will anyone else be joining us?"

"No," was the blunt reply.

Beldon frowned. "Are you eating?" he asked.

"No."

"Will you tell me what you have been doing today?"

"No."

"...Would you like to know what I have been doing today?"

"... No."

Beldon glared. "Do you want to just sit in silence then?"

"You talk a lot, don't you?"

"If you want to just sit in silence and darkness to the point that it is like I have no dining partner, I might as well just continue to eat in my room where I at least have Vanessa to share conversation with," Beldon snapped, standing up, shoving his chair back.

"Sit DOWN!"

The roar, followed by a slam of fist to table – hard enough to make the food jolt – sent Beldon reeling away, almost falling over his chair, grabbing it to keep his balance and staring.

There was a tense moment of complete stillness then Beldon heard The Beast move.

"Sit down," he commanded again, his voice softer this time.

Beldon slowly took his seat, pulling his chair in. He picked up his knife and fork and had to set them back down, his hands were shaking.

"Keep your head down."

Beldon lowered his head, his hands in his lap, gripping them tightly to control the tremors. That voice, that sound – like that of a monster – he had forgotten about that.

Keeping his head down, he flicked his eyes up.

The Beast had moved from the shadows.

He still wore that cloak over his face and body, and he was slowly prowling down the table towards Beldon.

Beldon sat there, his body ridged as he tried to control the trembling that was slowly seeping up from his hands, adrenaline making his heart pound to the point it hurt.

The Beast continued to come forwards and as he drew level with Beldon, his gloved hand reached forwards and Beldon reacted before his brain to catch up, sending him bolting from the chair, putting it between them as he held up his hands.

The Beast froze, so did Beldon, his eyes widening as he stared at the floor.

There was silence for a moment, both of them with hands held up.

"Sorry," Beldon said softly, looking up through his lashes.

The Beast turned his hand over, looking at it, then lowered it, tucking it back inside his cloak.

"You should eat," he finally said, walking around the chair, keeping a wide space between him and Beldon, heading to the doors.

"Wait!" Beldon said quickly, spinning around, "Please don't go, I'm sorry."

The Beast just opened the doors. "Finish your meal and return to your rooms. I shall meet you for dinner tomorrow night. Do not be late."

"Please, wait!" Beldon cried, stepping forwards, "I do not like to eat alone!"

But the door closed on him, leaving him alone in the shadows and firelight.

He stood there, staring at the doors, then looked down, rubbing his arm.

"I'm lonely," he whispered, closing his eyes.