16

Chase's POV

Police escort. Just like what I do. Only this time it's Ryder who's hurt instead of someone else. I felt bad. They only let Katie and two of us to come with in the ambulance, so it's Katie, me, and Rocky. The others are getting a police escort in a cop car behind us. I didn't want to look at Ryder. It hurt to see him like that. Rocky had his head on Katie's lap and his paws over his eyes, shaking. That was 20 minutes ago. Now we're all sitting here in the waiting room. Skye's pacing back and forth with tears in her eyes, Zuma's sleeping. He's still exhausted.

A nurse in purple scrubs came out with a clip board. "I'm looking for Chase, Skye, Zuma, Rubble, Rocky, and Marshall Turner." She said. We all jumped up, Zuma waking up from hearing his name. "They're all here." Katie said, gently putting Zuma on the floor. The nurse looked confused. "They're all... dogs?" She asked. "Yup." I said, irritated. She just shook off a shiver going down her neck. "Okay, uh, you all can see Ryder now. And you are, young lady?" "Katie Spencer, ma'am." Katie said, getting up. "I'm afraid you're going to have to wait out here, visiting hours aren't for awhile." She looked at Katie for a minute. "Wasn't your Dad fire chief Martin Spencer?" She asked, "From the New York City Fire Department?" Katie almost looked frozen, 'uh oh, here we go.' "Y-yes ma'am. But I really don't like talking about him. It brings back too many memories." "Oh, I'm sorry, honey. It's just that you remind so much of him, and I used to be friends with your mother." "It's okay. You pups go on and see Ryder now." Katie sat back down in her chair and we followed the nurse to Ryder's room.

We all remember Chief. He was really fun to hang out with. It broke Katie's heart when they called her mom with the sad news that he died in the World Trade Center collapse during 9/11. Things got worse when her Mom was diagnosed with 3rd degree Cancer. She died about two years ago, and still Katie refuses to talk about her parents.

"Here we are," the nurse said, stopping in front of one of the doors. "Room 392. Since you pups are family you're aloud to stay the night with Ryder if you want, and if it's okay with him."

I thanked her and she opened the door. "Ryder!" We all said in unison. "Hey, pups!" Ryder said with a smile on his face. I was the first one to jump up onto the bed and lick his cheek. "How you feelin, Ryder?" Rocky asked, managing to get on the bed with Zuma's help. "I'm doing good, Rocky." Ryder gave him a ear scratch on his good ear. Zuma pushed Skye up on the bed, and I bit down on her collar and pulled her up the rest of the way. "Ryder! Could we spend the night tonight?" She asked as soon as she saw him. "It's up to you, Ryder." The nurse said, still standing at the doorway. "Well... I don't see why not... sure." Skye barked and did another back flip. "Yay!" "You want me to bring in an extra bed?" The nurse asked. "Might need it." The nurse picked up a walkie talkie. "924, you copy?" 'Go ahead, Marian.' "Yeah, I need a fold up bed in room 392 for six pups, over?" '10-4. Brining it up now.' "Okay, 10-4, thanks.'