She said "thank you", though, in a soft tone, avoiding looking at me as I handed her the envelope. I'd used as little tape as possible, knowing she always struggled with the stickiness. Her hands weren't listening to her very well; they were making jumpy, uncoordinated movements. Was I making her nervous, after all this time?

I didn't do anything, just waited until she managed to do it herself; I knew that was what she preferred, no matter how much I wanted to help her, no matter that I'd only have good intentions. Eventually, she consorted to ripping it open a little, then yanked out the pieces of paper inside of it. Her brown eyes drifted over the contents until a bright smile appeared on her face and she threw her arms around me, squeezing me tight.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Her voice was high-pitched with excitement, and I let out a breath I hadn't been aware of holding. I'd done well — again. Part one was a success.

"There's two, so you can take anyone you want."

She frowned at me, brushing one of her dark locks from my shoulder, remaining there after her embrace. "Like I would take anyone but you. You're the only one who'd enjoy this as much as me. Sam would feel like he was being punished if he had to go with me."

Yeah, I'd figured the same when I purchased the tickets — they were for an Eddie Vedder concert, Pearl Jam's lead singer, and I'd wanted to go for ages. Going to a concert alone sounded pathetic, so I had to take this chance now. Maybe this present was a little selfish, now that I thought about it. That didn't matter; she loved it anyway, and I was sure she'd never forget the experience. I still remembered Lena and me in the crowd, going wild to Alice in Chains performing right in front of us, the adrenaline, the connection — and to think I was going to be experiencing June's first concert with her, and that it was one of the great ones... Yeah, this gift was definitely more self-serving than I'd realized.

"Oh, I can't wait! I really hope he'll play Wishlist though, and oh, Just Breathe of course, and..." she rambled on and on, listing her favorite tracks, practically lighting up the whole damn room, and suddenly, I didn't know if I could say 'yes' to Charlotte's proposition or even think about it. The conversation on our future was advancing on me — Charlotte had been presenting me with clever hints, and I'd been seriously considering it. But June wouldn't have a place in our life if I'd go through with it, and sitting here with her, I didn't know if I could live with that.

"Am I boring you?" She was waving her hand in front of my face, still smiling.

"Never," I said. "You want your second present?" I couldn't wait to give it to her anymore. At least, if I'd accept Charlotte's plan, she would have something to know I was thinking about her, and that she was as much a part of me as ever.

Sixteen. Strange. She'd changed, growing more serious and reflective, but in the core, she was still June. Still honest, fearless, hilarious, and too damn smart for her own good. Too damn beautiful as well.

"Hell yeah, I want my second present!"

Gingerly, I took the small cube-like package, laying it in my open hands. The nerves were back again, raging through my veins; luckily, that didn't show on the outside, like it did with her. I nodded for her to take it, and she did, carefully, obviously having noticed this was something you had to handle with respect. "This one has a story behind it," I said, watching eagerly as she fiddled with the wrapping paper. "But you need to open it first."

It took her some time, especially because she didn't seem to be wanting to resort to brutal force. Finally, it was only the worn box that was left. Big brown eyes looked up to me, curious, asking me if she could go ahead. When she lifted the lid, the nerves rose to their highest point —