Chapter Seventeen

"Secrets were meant to be told."

TYLER'S POV

Weariness sneakily slithers into my body, exploring my limbs and then my chest. Hope blocks a kick, followed by a punch, ducking my high kick and catches my right swinging arm a few inches before it lands. Instinctively, I turn around, and I elbow her from the front with my left arm.

The move caused her grip on my arm to loosen, and I rolled out of the way. I catch my breath, now cautious since it was her time to attack. She raised her fist, smiling wickedly as I held my hand out to defend the punches thrown.

Instead, she raised her leg and aimed for my stomach. I rushed to dodge the unpredictable kick, a little too late. She then raised her fist, which I thankfully caught and tried one of the moves I learned previously.

It was only after a few seconds when I found myself having the difficulty to lock her arm behind her back. Hence, I ditched the move and stood behind her, still holding on to her fist. Before she could make a move and cause the clasp on her hand to loosen, I used the advantage of being behind her and put my hand around her throat. Of course, I don't use force.

I could see Hope roll her eyes, condemning the movement before elbowing me from the front and pushing me backwards.

I groaned as my back hit the floor. I was returning onto my feet when Hope pushed me towards the ground again. She straddled me with her hands on my neck.

"You know," she said, flashing me a sweet smile, "you should've just tried choking me."

She raised her fist, delivering a punch. I inhaled sharply, grimacing in the pain that soars my body like electricity. She pushed herself to her feet, frowning for just a second before extending a hand which I readily took. I winced as I mirrored Hope and got into a fighting stance once again.

I thought about my steps cautiously then launched forwards to throw a few punches at once. They were all blocked in speedy motion. I wondered how Hope learned to fight extraordinarily well without a trainer. Was it possible to learn just with the help of the internet?

After throwing punches for quite a while, it was her time to strike again. Knowing her well, I ducked a kick and caught her left winging arm before it hit the side of my skull. Instinctively, I grabbed her other right arm with my free hand and realized that I'd gotten the upper hand.

I planned my next move thoroughly, keeping in mind that Hope is ingeniously guileful and her turn is in just a few steps.

I slide my foot, hitting the side of her feet. I felt triumphant like I had found and figured a confusing puzzle. I tripped her left leg, ready to pin her to the ground and brag about the outcome when she did a roll on the ground and landed on her two feet.

I gawked at the sudden action and was once again baffled by a sudden punch to the stomach. Grimacing, I clutched my abdomen and requested for a stop with a gesture.

"I picked that up from Ian," she said, referring to the roll she did.

I bit back from asking about the guy. Hope looked legitimately frightened of him, making me realize her father's gruesome death is not the only news she is dealing with, in the present. In the past, I used to think my family was screwed up. I resisted the urge to scoff when I compared it to Hope's.

I suppose all families had experienced or will experience a rough patch. Like Grayson, who had gotten into several fights with his parents, and like Josh, whose story still sounds a little unbelievable.

"Your punches are getting stronger," she stated, a proud glint sparkling in her eyes. "Your techniques are smart, but you'll need to make them faster and less predictable."