Chapter Four

"I got your back."

TYLER'S POV

For the last week, fatigue bit me perpetually. However, I have to confess that the time with Hope had been enjoyable.

It was the day of the competition. Tolerantly, I awaited as Hope entered my car. She was unsure of doing so for the first few days, but it soon became a routine. It became such a repetitive procedure that I had overwhelming dread for it to end.

I know we had a deal, and I need it to be committed to words said.

"Hey, you'll watch me fight this afternoon, right?" I asked. "Josh will be there too."

She listens to my discussions with Grayson and Josh every morning. Though she does not join in, she does react with a smile occasionally. The boys confoundedly like her being around too. They are not usually keen to be around Ashley or other girls, but Hope seemed to be an exception. However, she is not obstreperous with unnecessary comments, so it is entirely manifested. I received a nod in reply, and I could not help but smile. It boosted my assertiveness, knowing she would be viewing my fight.

My car halted to a stop outside the school, and we stepped out. There were diminishing expressions of enviousness as time progressed. I learned that Hope loathes attention. It was not alarming since she does not communicate with anyone. She followed behind me as we entered the hallway, which was much more crowded than usual.

"How do you think you're going to do for the fight tonight?" Josh asked me while his eyes were trained on Hope.

She was discomfited when being around us at first but is now used to our company.

"Disappoint me, and I'll boot your face," Grayson involved himself in the conversation. He was not able to tag along due to his recurring problems back at home with his mother.

"Are you sure you know how to beat others up? Who's teaching you?" Josh asked, finally looking away from Hope. "Hired?"

I glanced at Hope, who was already surreptitiously eyeing me with a ferocious stare. I got the message clear; she did not want me to tell him it was she who taught me how to brawl.

I would have never perceived that she has experience in fights if I had not walked in on her in the gymnasium a week ago. Therefore, I did not find the need to question why she insisted on maintaining the secret.

"Yeah," I lied.

Hiring someone never crossed in my mind. I pondered with prodigious confidence in teaching myself in the past, but after seeing Hope, the thought flushed down the drain. I discovered it required more effort than it seemed.

He did not buy my lie for a moment.

"Your father is permitting you to hire a fighter with money to a competition that you might lose and risk not getting the cash in return?" Josh questioned. Scepticism was apparent on his face.