Chapter Two

"You always have the choice."

TYLER'S POV

"What happened to you? Your face is red." The voice of my good friend, Josh Carson, snapped me out from my state of stupor. The image of my earlier situation swivelled in my head as if excited to leave me in demise.

"Can you put your phone down for just a second?"

I disregarded his words, too lost in my sea of thoughts. I was astounded beyond belief. I least expected Hope Valentino to be someone who could throw a punch. The lingering admiration clung onto me, as relentless as a mosquito. The way she presented herself in her stance screamed professionalism.

Without hesitancy, she attacked me. Her silence resulted in underestimation. Of course, there was revelation behind it. For one, I did find her in an abandoned area.

My father ensured disruptions were non-existent when I trained since he was resolute to have me win this fighting competition which he signed without my consent. I was cautioned that many strong competitors would be present since numerous posters were placed. It welcomed all who had seen it to enlist. Little did I know, I would come across Hope Valentino.

"Hey! Are you listening to me?" Josh questioned and threw a pillow from my couch, which landed on my face with an impact that shoved my thoughts away. My eyes appeared to be glued on my mobile since she left for home.

"Do you know Hope Valentino? She's in a few of my classes." He shook his head in response.

His gaze remained on me with a small smirk. "Dating?"

"You've seen her! She doesn't talk to anyone and usually sits alone." I frowned, ignoring his impossible assumption.

"Oh!" he finally said, then added, "I don't know her." There was a hint of irresolute when he spoke the phrase. His body went still.

My chest was weighty with dread, thinking of the contest I might confront without help. There was no point in telling Josh about Hope's when he was unaware of her existence.

I let the situation slide, drawing my eyes back to my phone.

"What happened to her?" Perhaps he believed something unfortunate happened. After all, I called him over to my place because my heart was overwhelmed with an unexplainable amount of anguish.

"After listening to your rant about your father and the things he wants you to do, I don't think there's time for love. Just give her up."

I did not bother to explain my current state. He supposed it was just another woman who I share an ongoing infatuation with, but I begged to differ. I felt oddly apprehensive that she would turn me down. I needed severe help if I wanted to win the fight and bring home a fortune. What could she gain from helping me, anyway? She had every right to turn me down.

I let out an inward sigh, tearing my watch from my mobile.