2 : bonfire

I watch the sidewalk ahead covered with patches of lacy shade and patches of bare concrete under the hot after school sun. Another two streets to go before home.

Light sweat coats my nose and forehead and I wipe it off with the back of my hand, adjusting my bag too.

"Remember when we used to say, 'step on the crack and you'll you break your mum's back'?" Zac says.

I snort. "Remember when I used to actually believe it."

Oscar and Zac crack up. "You used to believe it? That's frickin' hilarious, Laylah."

"And she used to get all upset and cry about it when I'd intentionally jump on the cracks." Camila adds.

"You were mean, Mila!"

"You were a cry baby."

"You're still mean."

She flips me off grinning.

"Brooke! Camila just flashed her rude finger at me."

Brooke takes one of her earphones off. "What?"

I sniffle. "Camila's bullying me again."

Brooke tsks at Camila and puts her earphone back in.

"Pumped for the bonfire tonight?" Oscar says to us.

"Yes! I miss having the fire. We haven't had one since the beginning of the year."

"I know right. It's been too long." Zac says.

The bonfire was a celebration our street had at the end of every school term, but it was also an excuse for the adults to drink all night. The rest of us headed down to the beach and had a bonfire. These nights were without a doubt the best days of the year; nights that were always filled with laughter, smiles and fun.

The seven of us turn into our street, Harrison Court. We pass the Thompson's place where Walter and Susanna, an elderly couple lived and soon we all split of to the direction of our houses.

"Don't forget to come down to Lunar Beach at 6pm." Alby calls out.

"See you all there." He adds, looking in the general direction of me and Camila but it was obviously aimed at her. Man he's whipped. I look to Oscar wondering if he notices, and he slides me a subtle wink. I return it.

A chorus of byes and see you later fill the court before we head to our homes.

Brooke, Camila and I walk up the driveway. "Any of you have the keys?"

"I... don't." I say patting my pocket.

Brooke shimmies the key in front of our faces. Always the responsible one. Even with Kai being the oldest, Brooke was always the one keeping us together. Though she was quiet and distant to most people, life wouldn't be the same without her presence.

She unlocks the door and we're greeted with soft padded feet bounding towards us.

I coo at Bailey. "C'mere." He jumps onto my leg and I bend down, taking him into my arms.

"Good boy." I coo.

I rub his silky brown and white coat, sinking my fingers in his long hair. He's an australian shepherd and has been with our family since he was a tiny puppy; he just about grew up with me. Feeling sweatier because of the heat radiating of him, I let him go. I drop my bag at the foot of the staircase, grab my empty drink bottle from my bag and head into the kitchen.

I hear Camila raiding the fridge, humming to herself.

"What's on the menu today, 'Mila?" I say, watching the water fill up in my bottle. I hover my hand over the tap, ready to slam it shut before the water dribbles over the lip of my bottle.

"The usual." I shut the tap precisely. Go me.

Humming a response, I jog upstairs — Bailey hot on my heels — and burst into my room. He leaps onto my bed while I drop my bag next to the door, then flump onto my spinny chair. My impact sending the chair skidding forward. It stops in front of my bookshelf and I find my eyes skimming through all the spines of books, cringing at the thick math, biology and chemistry textbooks Kai had left for me.

My gaze drifts off to the window. The sun still shines brightly against the bright baby blue sky; not one cloud in view. Soft fur brushes against my leg and I reach down to scoop Bailey into my lap.

"I think it'll be a good night tonight, don't you?" I say rubbing his face, looking into his gorgeous blue-green pigmented eyes. He stretches out his pink tongue blinking sleepily at me.

I smile at him. "I'll be seeing more of you because of the holidays and we can take our long morning walks along the pier."

He wags his tail and jumps off my lap.

A knock sounds on my door before Camila walks in, a fruit platter balanced on her hand; Bailey slipping through her legs and out my room.

"Your afternoon tea missy."

My mouth waters and I grin at the fruity deliciousness that lies on the board.

"Thanks 'Mila." I exclaim picking a sliced peach into my mouth.

"You're welcome." She sighs as she flops onto my bed, feet dangling off the edge. "What're you wearing tonight?"

"Clothes."

"Yeah well duh, stupid."

I sniffle at her comment, before rummaging through my drawers for my usual shorts and top.

I hold it up to Camila, she groans. "I need something... fancier."

A grin unconsciously makes its way onto my face. "Trying to impress someone?"

A someone by the name of Alby?

She scowls. "Who's there to impress?"

"You tell me, smartypants."

"You're not helping, I'll go ask Brooke." She skips out my room.

I holler after her. "We all know out of the three of us, I have the best sense of style and Brooke has no idea what fashion is."

Silence.

I win.

A/N: thanks for reading <3  also, go check out character aesthetics if you haven't already  c: