1 : sunshine

"And that's a wrap for the year," Mr Robert's says; and as soon as those words leave his mouth, the class scrambles to pack their belongings. Over the noise of textbooks being shoved into bags, paper being scrunched and the sound of chairs scraping against the classroom floor, Mr Roberts adds, "Have a great break everyone. Don't leave till the bell goes!"

Too late Mr R, I think to myself as I watch the rowdy bunch of kids in our class cruise out of class, Jasper jumping to tap the frame of the door.

I toss my bag over my shoulder and join the rest of the cohort leaving.

"Hell yeah! School's out, sun's out." Shouts Hailey as she dangles her arm over my shoulder.

"The best combo right?" I reply, a grin lighting up my face.

"Nothing better."

"Hey Layla, Hails!" Min-Lee says as she nears us.

"School's finally out." Min-Lee exclaims as she flicks her watch to check the time.

I chuckle."Got somewhere to be?"

"Yeah, gotta catch a plane to for a shoot over the break."

"Wow Min-Lee, that's so cool!"

She shakes her head smiling, "What about you guys, have any plans?"

"Surfing and catching up with family. Kai is coming back for Christmas!!"

"Invite me over." Hails says winking.

"He's taken."

"Damn it." She sighs dramatically. "Now I'm just going to spend the rest of my summer lockedup in my room all because the love of my life is taken." 

A beat passes before we all burst out giggling.

Min-Lee sighs, the smile still on her face. "I wish I could stay and catch up but my driver's here. Catch you all later yeah?"

"Definitely. Bye Min-Lee." I chirp, pulling her in for a hug, Hails doing the same.

I turn to Hails. "Are you going back to your locker to grab the rest of your books?"

"Nah." She pauses for a moment. "They can rot there."

I giggle. "Ok then, but I need to collect the last few folders in my locker."

"Ok, yeah, I'll come."

The scratched and dented row of green lockers come into view. And so does Emma. She was another girl, like Hailey and Min-Lee, who I'd grown up with and known pretty much all my life. We had all gone to the same primary school, been put in the same class in prep and have stuck with each other through our 3 years of high school.

"Hey Em!" I cheerily say as we near.

"Oh hey guys." She waves before turning back to rummage through her locker. "I have so many notices, and random worksheets at the back of my locker."

I laugh as she produces a huge handful of sheets and watch as she dodges between afterschool traffic to get to the bin across the corridor.

Slamming our lockers shut for the last time this year, we head out the main doors of Leydale High School. The feeling of the afternoon sun and the warm air- not sickly humid- encompassing me bringing an immediate smile to my face.

Emma lets out a satisfying sigh, "I just know this summer break will be absolutely fantastic. I can feel it in the air. Y'know what I'm saying?"

"Yep." I say popping the 'p'. "I can't wait to be able to spend my days at the beach and on the water."

"Amen to that L. Except for the fact I can't surf to save my life."

I shook my head. "That needs to change soon."

Hails pops in."Oh right, forgot you had a surfer family. What a cool bunch, you guys are."

I grin at her. "Nah uh, Brooke does not wade out further than her hips."

"Layla!" A voice says, cutting Hails off. My eyes scan ahead for the voice, skimming past students milling around, the leaves glowing a luminous green because of the sun behind, and then I see Zac waving at me. Most of the neighbourhood gang behind him.

"That's my cue. Got to go."

Hails groans, enveloping me into a hug, "See ya matey. Don't forget about me." Hails says.

I pull back and blink at her innocently. "Who are you?"

She scrunches up her nose. "Stranger."

I embrace Emma and we exchange goodbyes.

"See you later L."

With a wave, I turn and jog to Zac and the others.

"Hey, sorry for the wait guys."

"Baby Ezra!" Oscar says. I was the youngest in my family, hence the nickname. "No worries, we've only just gathered."

"Cool. So we're waiting on..." My eyes flickering around I didn't see my sister or Alby.

"Camila and Alby."

"Camila and Alby."

We say at the time, winking too. We crack up laughing.

"Jinx." He says, and I poke my tongue at him.

Oscar Davidson was a year older than me but I swear we were the same age mentally.

The 'neighbourhood gang' was essentially just all the kids that lived on our street. We were made up of six families: the Murphy's, Bridget's, Pereira's, Davidson's, Lett's and Colombo's. We had all just about grown up with each other, playing tag on the weekends, bumping into each other at the shops, and ultimately seeing each other at school.

At the end of the school year we always walked home together, it was like the pre-party before the actual party, which was the bonfire later tonight.

I crane my neck to look for Camila. I finally catch sight of her long blonde hair under a tree animatedly talking to a boy. Typical Camila.

"What's up mini L?"

I turn to Zac, finding myself looking into his twinkling blue eyes. "Nothing much. How's your day?"

He shrugs smiling. "Pretty good so far and only getting better. I had substitute teachers take nearly all my classes so the boys and I messed around for the whole day. How about you?"

"It was average, but a little better than average because, you know, it's the last day of school for this year. And we get almost 2 months off school." Saying that made my smile even bigger and I quickly shut my mouth feeling myself start to babble.

He smiles back with the same enthusiasm. "Yeah. I know right. 2 months of free time."

Free time.

"Why's Camila so slow?" Alby says, appearing out of no where.

I open my mouth about to reply.

"Who did you say was slow?" Camila pipes up, daring him.

"Took you long enough." He fires back.

"It's not like you just arrived or anything." I could feel sarcasm dripping off each word.

"Yeah it's not like you did either, slowpoke."

"Slow fuck."

"Fuck you."

"Cut it out you guys."

Note: yayy!! the first chapter is finally out and edited. after months of planning, rewriting, and procrastinating here it is. hopefully it doesn't disappoint. thanks guys for the votes and reads, it always keeps me that much more motivated to write and update.

special special thanks to my cutest friend reddawnfox for your constant encouragement, funny editing moments, and always knowing how to boost my motivation. love u xxx

  woo stay pumped for chp 2.