Prologue

"Do you have to leave Kai?" I said, dragging out the 'a' in have. "Oceansville University is just a 15 minute drive away."

"Layla, I've worked my as- um I've worked so hard to get into National Hampton University. Oceansville University doesn't have the course I want to do. I'm not leavin' forever L."

My eyes started welling up as I looked up at him. My big brother, my rock, going to college. Who would give me piggyback rides along the beach? Who would dunk me into the ocean? Who would give me advice on just about anything? A tear slipped down my chubby cheeks. He knelt down and held my shoulders.

"Hey, I'll visit you on the holidays. And we can go surfing in the mornings, and I'll still give you piggybacks along on the beach."

"You promise?"

"I promise." He said, looping his pinky with mine. "Don't cry, Layla."

He gave me a big grin, one I was so used to seeing, and one that I wouldn't be seeing anytime soon. He stood up and gave my sisters, Brooke and Camila, hugs while mommy put her arms around my shoulder.

"This is the only time I'll let you hug me, Kai."

"I'll miss you too, Camila." He joked before swooping her into a big hug. I thought I saw her wipe a tear behind his back.

"Come here, Brooke."

I watched on, holding back tears as he hugged her and mumbled a few words to her. Brooke was the quiet one in the family. She was now the oldest sibling in the family since Kai was leaving. Brooke was 3 years younger than Kai and one year older than Camila. I was the youngest in the family, being only 11 years old.

Kai scooped up his bags and dumped them into his jeep.

He was actually leaving.

I swallowed a sob threatening to escape from me as I watched him get into his new jeep and start the engine.

Kai rolled the windows down. "Adios amigos." And gave us a two-fingered salute.

He slowly reversed out of the driveway and shot us one more smile.

"Come on, Laylah baby." Mummy said nudging me back inside.

But I stayed there and watched-

watched until his jeep was no longer in view-

till the only thing I saw was a barren concrete road.

And the only thing I heard was the sound of the distant waves crashing.

Author's Note: i could not wait to share this story with you guys so here's the prologue a few weeks earlier than i scheduled to publish it!! i really hope you guys enjoyed it,

stay pumped for part 1.

- ria xx