~Chapter 11~

~Chapter 11~

Scared that Ben had found us out, we sprung apart from each other instantly. Running my hand frantically down my body to fix my clothes into place, I looked at Marcus who looked just as nervous as I did. He searched my face, quietly asking where he should go to hide. I jerked my head to the closet and Marcus took his shirt that had fallen on the bed with him as he hurried towards the closet.

Glancing at my reflection in the mirror, I approved my appearance and calmly as possible, I opened the door and waved at Ben, “Hey! What’s up?” He was just about to enter my room and he looked worried.

“You’re okay?” He asked me, looking me over.

“Yeah, I just got out of the shower.” I answered slowly. “Why? What’s wrong?” I hoped it had nothing to do with Marcus.

Ben relaxed at bit, but was still a little stiff. “During class, my phone beeped, saying something was wrong over here. I came straight here and you didn’t answer you phone. I was so worried.” So it did have something to do with Marcus.

“I didn’t hear anything,” Calming him down more. “Still don’t. It was most likely a false alarm.”

“Okay, well I’m going to check the cameras, make sure it was.” He started to head for the Wire.

“NO!” I shouted, stopping him, before he could see that it was Marcus who broke into the house. Ben turned around, confused at my outburst.  “I’ll do it,” I innocently smiled at him. “Go relax, take a shower. I’m sorry that you were worried about nothing.” He nodded and said that I was right.

I waited until I could see that he shut the door to his bathroom and ran into my bedroom. I closed the door behind and I saw Marcus already out of hiding, with his shirt on his very firm back. He was talking on the phone in hushed tones. From what I could hear, Marcus was asked to go somewhere and he was arguing against it, again.

He hung up and looked back to me, apologetically. “Sorry, that was my mom. She wants to go see her for a family meeting.”

“You should go.” I said, staying right by the door.

“Yeah.” He swiped his hair back in frustration and sat at the edge of the bed. “I just have the feeling that it’s not a family meeting, but a ploy to get me on an assignment.”

I took the opportunity to ask him, “Why do you refuse to go on assignments? Is being an agent that you don’t like?”

He hung his head and wryly answered me. “It’s not about being an agent; I like the idea of catching the bad guys that actually deserve it. I just don’t agree with IMO’s procedures sometimes,” he explained. “They don’t treat others very nicely.” I sneered at his understatement, but he kept on talking. “Personally, I think everyone should get a fair trial, and the government is so messed up that sometimes criminals do get away. That’s why IMO and other agencies were created in the first place, but unfortunately, IMO has gotten away from the original plan.”

His answer made sense, IMO has drifted away, and it wasn’t always like it was now. That’s why Ben and I were here, playing checks and balances. I smiled at Marcus, liking him a little bit more every time a word came out of his mouth. How does he do that? I thought.

Marcus walked towards me and I stepped away from the door, opening it to let him through. He stopped right before the doorway pulled me into a hug, kissed my cheek and whispered into my ear, “Don’t worry, everything is going to be okay. Your secret is safe with me, Vanessa.”

I was shocked that he knew my name, but then realized that Ben had yelled it in worry just a few minutes ago. I didn’t let go of Marcus and whispered back to him, “Call me Van.”