Chapter 19

Tyler's POV

Second term started and that meant we had a lot of work to do. JAMB was coming up, WAEC and NECO were also on the way. These exams were no child's play, you had to prepare for all earnestly. Taju was also back to Nigeria for the mean time. He has about six months before school starts officially so, he was going to be around for a while and for prom as well before he goes back to Spain. 

Ohhh, did I mention Tiana and I were already official? Exciting right, I know. I was quite nervous when I was asking her out. It wasn't dating, I don't like the term dating. I preferred the term 'relationship' because it was exactly what we had.

Every final year student was busy. For the first time in a while, the whole SS3 block was a quiet as a cemetery. Everyone was focusing on their studies. Tiana was not in school today. She told me forehand that she wasn't feeling too well. I made a mental note to stop by her house after school.

I sitter in class trying to read but I couldn't concentrate. I was thinking about what Tiana's past would be like when she finally tells me. I know I promised her I wouldn't leave but, would I be able to handle whatever she will tell me? Won't it scare me away?

"Hey Tyler." A voice jerked me back to reality and I saw Joel walking into the class grinning, at me. I gave her a wary smile back.

"Bros, how far? Fancy seeing you in my class sha. Are you not supposed to be with Zaria or reading?" I asked

"I'm tired of reading and I just ended a talk with Zaria. Funny how it was about you." He smirked, dragging a chair and sitting down in front of me.

"Okay. Hope everything is okay?" I asked him, teasingly.

"I don't know, you tell me." He replied and I was speechless. One thing Joel was amazing at was reading people like a book. He could see right through your soul. That's why he knew Zaria more than any of us did.

"Honestly, I'm conflicted." I told him sincerely and he cocked his head to the side.

"Conflicted about what?" He asked.

"Tiana." I replied and he furrowed his eyebrows. I knew what that meant and I quickly clarified. "Don't get me wrong, I am not having second thoughts about our relationship. I care so much about her and I definitely want us to be together. But..." I trailed off

"But?" He urged me to continue.

"Her past. I want to be there for her. I don't want to judge her like the rest of the world. I want to see past her flaws and scars. But I'm nervous. I have always wanted to know more about her. I promised her that whatever she will tell me won't make me leave. But, what if I can't handle it. What if it's too much to bear..." I trailed off again.

"Hey, calm down. It's okay." Joel leaned on the table, calming me down and I stopped talking.

"I don't want to hurt her, Joel. It's obvious she's been through a lot. What if I can't take it?" I asked him.

"Tyler, listen to me. I can say I know how you feel because I have been in this position before. Trust me it wasn't easy at all but it couldn't help but fall for Zaria more even with what she went through. I felt the deep urge to protect her more and keep her by my side. None of what happened was her fault, you and I know that." He spoke.

"But I cannot say the same for, Tiana. I mean, I'm not sure yet." I replied.

"And you won't know that unless you let her tell you. Tiana's behavior wasn't ordinary at all. There must have been something that trigged it, or maybe someone." Joel said and I nodded, understanding better.