Trouble in paradise

Comincia dall'inizio

"Excuse me?" I dropped my spoon.

"You heard me.  I've told you before "

"Khalifa. Why are you doing like this. We are talking about my childhood friend here. She went all out for our wedding. She was my make-up artist all through the ceremony without collecting a dime ...."

"We can return her money if that is what she wants "

"Of course that is not the case. She is my childhood friend. Since birth. Even if I have nothing to give her in return , my presence means everything to her..... Please"

He stopped  eating and turned to me. "You prefer pleasing your friend to pleasing your husband. "

"Of course that is not what....."

"Or if you leave, how do you think am going to be,who's gonna cook my meals "

"Baby I can cook everything you want and put it in the fridge. You warm it. Just like we did when we used to date. Remember those days?" I smile remembering. He gave me a straight look,my smile dropped.

"You forget we are married... Huh. Anu, I don't want to talk about this anymore. You are not going and I'm  serious.  I mean it. Can we stop talking about it. I want to eat my food in peace"

He continued eating. I stared at him with the fiercest anger.  I lost all kind of appetite. I got up from the the table before doing or saying what I might regret.

"Damola I am really sorry. It is so urget that I can't do anything about it. I am so sorry. I promise to make it up to you" I apologise to my friend over the phone.

"It is okay Anu. I understand, you are not like that. I know you. Don't worry about anything. Would send you lots of picture"

"Thank you for understanding  "

"It's okay. Send my greetings to your husband" she said I replied okay before hanging up.

"Satisfied ?" I asked him angrily. He ignored. I hiss. Turned my back to him and slept.

❣❣❣

"Where are you off to dressed like that" I stopped, checked myself out in the mirror, turned to khalifa with a questioning look.

"I asked a question "

"Work... Where I go everyday " I replied with a little bit of attitude.

"And you want to wear that?"  I checked myself again and there is absolutely nothing wrong with my outfit. I'm wearing a Ankara Palazzo  with normal blue top to match.

"What are you tryna say? "  I'm starting to get irritated with the way he is acting.

" You keep forgetting you are married. See how tight the  clothes looks on you. Who are you trying to impress... Cos I am not impressed in any way. Just look at your hair uncovered, what religious woman goes out like this.... In this manner"

I counted to ten in my mind to calm my Nerves. The trousers is not in anyway tight and this is not the first time I leave my hair open.

"I am religious first of. So don't start with that, and this here, is not tight. I'm comfortable in it and my hair, don't you go there because you know this is not my first time leaving my hair open...."

" Why would you go about with your hair open. What good woman brought up with Islamic morals would act like that. "

"Khalifa... Seriously.. are you gonna start now. We talked about this way before our marriage. I told how I would love to practice my own religion and you said you are okay with that, so why all this"

"That is the problem. You keep forgetting we are married and things have to change. How do you want people to address you. You are my wife for fuck sakes. When would you start acting like one. "

"Really... I actually do like that question. Let me answer you by also asking you. When last have you acted like my husband.  When. When last have you touched me.  You nag about absolutely everything. You find faults in everything I do. What  is your problem. What have I done wrong." I questioned.

He averted his gaze from me. I've taken it up to a point I can't take it no more. I am tired of his behavior. It is frustrating.

I waited patiently for him to talk. For him to at least give me one reason at all as to why all this is happening. He did the unexpected by walking past me leaving stunned, speechless.

I didn't know when the tears escaped my eyes. Something is definitely wrong somewhere. The Ahmad I married is not like this. This is not the man I fell in love with.

I want my Husband back .

My Ahmad