Chapter 1 - The New Beginning

=-Jerome's POV-=

I woke up to the sound of my mother yelling at me to get out of bed and get ready for school. She smelled like smoke.. Best thing to smell when you first wake up.. Anyway, I got up and started to get ready for the first day of 9th grade at this new school. I hope people there wouldn't be rude because I'm the only Bacca there.. The school made an only exception for me to attend.. I was hoping all morning for a good day.

When I got to the school, everyone started giving me looks and somehow they all learned my name.. How lovely.. I quickly just went to my locker and got to class. I didn't want to be stopped by any dumb ass guys that wanted to beat me up for no good reason.

When I got to class there was only a few people in there so far, good enough. I sat in the back of the class with my head down, trying not to draw too much attention and hoping that they might not notice I'm the new kid that's a Bacca..

I did notice that one kid with spiked hair and a checkered jacket kept staring at me with a slight confused look. I tried to ignore him but then he got up and sat in the desk next to me..

"Hey there.. Are you a new student here?" The boy asked hesitantly like he was scared that I was the Bacca..

"Uhh... Yeah.. I am.." I said shyly.

"Oh! Well, welcome to New Port High! My names Mitchell, but you can call me Mitch!" He sounded happy and nice.. But I wondered if he knew what I was.. Better let him know..

I sat the book down from my face, still keeping my head down, and said, "I'm Jerome.. The, uh, new one .. Or Bacca if you prefer.." I heard a soft gasp coming from the boy.

"You're the Bacca? Oh my. I live across the street from you! I saw you guys move in yesterday!"

Wasn't what I expected.. That's actually good for once.

I wanted to talk a little more but the teacher walked in and class started.

*******

When it was time for lunch, I found a table with not many people sitting there, so I decide to sit there. But right when I sat down.. Everyone that was sitting there just got up and moved to a different table.. Figured I was gonna just eat alone but then Mitch sat next to me.

"Hello Jerome!" He said happily.

"Oh. Uh. Hey." I replied and we talked the entire lunch period. It was actually awesome. He wasn't rude at all! We had so much in common too! I hope we get to become friends..

*******

When living hell, I mean school, was finally out, I started to walk home.

When I got home and was about to open the door, my mom quickly opened it and pulled me inside. The house was already infested the the smell of her damn smoke. She took me by the ear and threw me down on the couch and told me she was leaving for the night and I had to clean the house.. That she trashed..

I started to clean when she left.. I didn't want to know what'll happen if I didn't.. She's never been this way though.. She only started smoking after my dad left.. But that was over two years ago.. And she never was this rude..

I just hoped it didn't get worse.. But like all things I hope.. They all turn out the opposite..