"We need to talk," I said in a low voice, glancing behind me to make sure that none of the Hermes kids were eavesdropping. Honestly, some of those kids had sharper ears than the satyrs. "In private."

"Can it wait until after my master's archery class?" Chiron said, raising his eyebrows at me as he dabbed at the corner of his mouth with a napkin. "I promised my class that I'd have a surprise set up for them today."

"I'll be at the Big House tomorrow at two-thirty." I left Chiron at his table, ignoring the curious stares from campers, satyrs, and nymphs alike. I took another bite of my bagel, grabbed some coffee, and headed for the lake.

When I reached the lake, I found someone else sitting at the edge of the dock. I took a seat next to him, quietly drinking my coffee as I kicked off my flip-flops, allowing my feet to touch the cold water. He was silent, too, a pensive expression on his face as he blankly stared at the surface of the lake, his reflection shimmering from the little ripples I was creating.

I hadn't seen Luke for some time now, but I knew he had also purposefully distanced himself from other campers after Thalia had joined the Hunters last winter. I still didn't know the full details about what happened, but I knew that they had still been dating when she joined the Hunt, completely shattering Luke's heart.

At least Cleo had done what I asked of her, keeping Luke out of my father's manipulative hands. He was still beyond betrayed, but his broken heart hadn't been enough to turn him to the Titan cause. But he was nothing like the Luke I'd once known – quiet, reserved, moody. I can't remember the last time he genuinely smiled or laugh, something that saddened me greatly.

It didn't help matters that Mr. D forbade Luke from leaving camp by himself. I would've thought that Mr. D didn't care if Luke left or not, but maybe Hermes had threatened him or something, because if it were up to Mr. D, we'd all be kicked out of camp the second we started to annoy him.

Finally, Luke looked up from the water, sighing deeply as he leaned back on the heels of his hand, basking in the morning sunlight.

"Hello, Andy," he said, kicking his feet to create little waves in the water. "Long time, no see."

"Likewise," I replied, setting my now empty coffee cup aside.

We sat in comfortable silence, watching the sun continue to rise over the horizon. There was really no need to catch up; we both knew enough about the other's life up until now. I pulled out a book and began to read, only pausing when I heard Luke ask, "Why do you like to read so much?"

I looked up, putting in my bookmark just in case. "They're my escape," I answered truthfully. "It's nice to go into another world, where some people's problems are way worse than ours. Sometimes, they help take my mind off of things."

"Like what?"

"Well, if I'm stressed out about school, I read fantasy. If I'm worried about what's going on at camp, I read comedies. Basically, I read the opposite of whatever negative emotion I'm feeling at that moment."

"So what are you reading now?" Luke asked, sitting up, intrigued by my philosophy.

"Looking for Alaska," I said, pausing to glance at the cover. Such a simple cover for such an amazing book.

Luke raised his eyebrows in suspicion. "Doesn't Alaska-?"

"Yes, she does," I cut him off. Just because I know what happens doesn't mean you, dear reader, know the ending.

"Then why the Hades are you reading that book at a time like this? Are you trying to make yourself sad?"

"It's...complicated."