The Golden City

Jimin took your hand and led you to the elevator, pressing the button for the 52nd floor. His palm was cool against yours as his thumb traced lazy shapes into your skin. You were spared from having to listen to the torturous annoying music that typically played in elevators, but the silence did nothing to quiet your heart as it drummed in your ears. In the mirrored glass doors in front of you, you could see Jimin blatantly staring at your reflection and you resisted the urge to squirm. You wouldn't give him that satisfaction. 

You sighed softly, it was taking a lifetime for you to reach the top. Just before you were about to start tapping your foot impatiently, the doors slid open with a ding. As expected, the scene in front of you was practically taken straight from an Oceans film. There were only a handful of tables in the restaurant, most large enough to comfortably seat a party of at least twelve. 

The back wall was made entirely of glass, giving guests a breathtaking view that stretched for miles with glimmering lights. The large glossy tables were bare save for a candle in the center of each and they were lined with cream colored cushioned booths. The ambiance was intimate, relaxed, and quiet. 

A tall, good looking waiter was in front of you as soon as you walked in, a friendly smile on his face. Jimin nodded his way and the man returned the gesture. He must have made a reservation. That, or he came here often. You had to wonder if he brought female company here, and what number you may be. But that was none of your business, was it?

Mr. Tall, Tuxedo, and Handsome guided you to a booth along the back wall. No surprise that it was right next to the window, Jimin would have nothing less. This particular seating arrangement was sunken into the floor about a foot and you had to step down into it. The waiter graciously helped you by holding your hand - a little too long for your liking - and you could see Jimin tense from the corner of your eye. Well, there went his tip. 

You pulled your hand free and took a seat inside the 'L' shaped booth wrapping around half of the table, scooting close to the window so that Jimin would have the option of sitting either next to you or in the single chair on the opposite side. As he moved to join you, you could see Jimin glaring at the other man, making him avert his gaze to the ground and gulp. 

Jimin took a seat in the chair across from you, meaning he either wanted to give you elbow room or himself the chance to watch you as he so loved to do. You set your clutch down on the seat next to you and turned to look out the window. Sights like this would never cease to amaze you, not if you saw them every day for the rest of your life.

A bottle of wine and two long stemmed wine glasses were already placed on the table. You couldn't pronounce the name on the label, which probably meant it costed too much for you to want to know the price. You swallowed your pride, or at least tried to, and ignored the familiar knot that always formed in your stomach when someone spent any amount of money on you. 

You fixed your shawl around your shoulders, reluctant to let it fall and expose your shoulders just yet. The waiter filled the two glasses on the table and set the bottle in the middle, leaving it for the two of you. You offered him both thanks and an apology for Jimin's territorial brooding with a nod of your head before gently taking the glass between your fingers. Your rings clinked against the crystal as you brought it to your lips. 

The maroon wine was airy, crisp, and cool as it washed down your throat. It was delicious and it didn't shock you at all that Jimin had wonderful taste. You took a second sip before setting it down, remembering yourself. The last time you had allowed yourself to drink around the man in front of you . . . best not to think about it.

You licked the sweet taste slowly from your lips as you vacantly watched the man-made stars below. The hairs on your neck rose, however, and you had the distinct feeling of being watched. You hesitantly turned to look at Jimin, and sure enough, he was staring at you.