Chapter 2

Yvy dropped Valeria in her part of the castle. Cygun looked worriedly at Valeria's wounds. 

She told Yvy, "We need to treat her. She is human and they are more delicate."

"It's fine. We will just use some Moon Stone," replied Yvy.

Cygun, reassured, went to fetch some and came back. A while back, we figured out how to multiply their Moon Stone quantity without getting it from the humans or mines.

Yvy made a limp Valeria sit up and did her best to make Valeria drink the liquid Moon Stone. It was quite a feat considering she is a huge ass dragon while Valeria is a tiny human. 

Valeria reacted immediately to the Moon Stone and woke up. She started coughing very loudly and turned red. 

Yvy turned to Cygun desperate, "What's wrong with her?"

It finally dawned on Cygun, "She's human and we gave her dragon medicine! It could be fatal or something!"

Yvy started shaking Valeria, not having dealt with humans before this close. Eventually, Valeria stopped coughing and smiled up at Yvy.

"Thanks for the help," Valeria sent to them through the mind-link. 

"No problem!" Yvy answered. Suddenly, Cygun's face grew terrified. 

She asked Yvy, "Did you hide her scent, Yvy?"

"No, I thought you did," replied Yvy.

"Shit," muttered Cygun, "Larius is going to be so mad. He will figure it out in a minute."

Like on command, a huge roar shook the castle. Valeria looked afraid, but then smiled at the two dragoness.

She told them, "Don't worry about it, if I die at least I met you two. You are my first real friends. I appreciate you helping me out even though I am human." 

Cygun sniffled, "I wish that Yvy and I hadn't forgotten to hide your scent. Valeria, you're such a sweet eight year old girl, you don't deserve any of this."

Instead of answering, Valeria smiled again. They could all feel Larius coming closer and his anger at having a human in his walls.

He yelled out, "YVY, CYGUN, WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH A HUMAN!" He wasn't in the room, but with the mind-link it sure felt like it. 

Quick to defend the only people who ever defended her, Valeria was the one to answer him mentally, "They were saving me from a worse fate."

That stopped King Larius short. Never had he ever had a human answer him through the mind-link. Even with High King Macbeth, Macbeth spoke out loud, only capable of hearing him. 

Valeria didn't notice that Larius seemed to have paused. Since Valeria thought she was going to die, she wanted to sing one last song. When she sang, that was the only moment when she felt truly free :

Hush, little baby, don't say a word,
Papa's/Mama's gonna buy you a mockingbird.

And if that mockingbird don't sing,
Papa's/Mama's gonna buy you a diamond ring.

And if that diamond ring turns brass,
Papa's/Mama's gonna buy you a looking glass.

And if that looking glass gets broke,
Papa's/Mama's gonna buy you a billy goat.

And if that billy goat don't pull,
Papa's/Mama's gonna buy you a cart and bull.

And if that cart and bull turn over,
Papa's/Mama's gonna buy you a dog named Rover.

And if that dog named Rover won't bark.
Papa's/Mama's gonna to buy you an horse and cart.

And if that horse and cart fall down,
Well, you'll still be the sweetest little baby in town.

The song touched all three of them, especially Yvy who knew that Valeria never got that as a child. 

Larius had entered the room at the beginning of the song, but Valeria hadn't noticed, wrapped up in the song. 

She was burst out of her bubble when she heard Larius tell Cygun, "How can a child so young hold so much sorrow? And how can she talk to us through the mind-link?"

Valeria stood up and wiped the tears that had gathered in her eyes, "I am Valeria, nice to meet you Dragon King Larius. Pardon my intrusion on your territory. I was running away from some of my nastier villagers and crossed your border on accident. I accept any punishment you see fit, including death."

For the first time in a long time, King Larius's heart felt such sorrow. This little girl of barely eight years of age was here telling him to kill her or do anything he wanted. 

For the first time in a long time, King Larius felt pity for a human.

He told her, "You will not get any punishment, Valeria. The song was enough for my forgiveness. We shall bring you back to your village, so you could be with your people."

Suddenly, Valeria appeared frightened at the idea of returning to the abuse of her village and leaving her new friends.

Not being able to help it, she burst out crying and fell to her knees.

For Larius' part, he was confused. Is Valeria crying happy tears? Why is she sad to go with her people?

Cygun seethed at him, as his wife, the only one to get away with it, "Idiot! Her village abuses her. Look at her, she is starved. She would have died if we hadn't given her Moon Stone. She is orphaned too. There is nothing but sadness for her there."

Larius felt even more sorry for the wee gal. But he knew that the other dragons were likely to kill any human in their midst. It has been a while since he had no idea what to do.

Yvy suggested, "I know you are worried about the other dragon's acceptance, but how about we offer her to try to convince them to let her stay. If they like her gift, she stays. If they don't, I will give her money to get out of the village."

Larius nodded and Valeria had been listening to the entire conversation. Valeria was happy at her chance to prove her worth. 

It was the best deal she was ever offered. 

Valeria hesitated on how she was going to get the dragons to accept her. 

She asked Yvy, "What should I do to convince them to accept me?"

"I think you should sing a song for them. You are a really good singer," replied Yvy with no hesitation.

Valeria turned towards the King and Queen, "What do you think Queen Cygun and King Larius?" 

"Call me Cygun, my dear. I agree with Yvy. When we heard you sing, it was magical," gushed Cygun.

"I agree with my wife and you may call me Larius, Val," said King Larius.

Valeria blushed at the use of the nickname Val, pleased that Larius had called her such. He then left with Cygun to set up said meeting. 

Valeria still had some questions, "Yvy, why are you all so surprised with my singing?"

Yvy cleared her throat to answer, "Well, dragons cannot sing like humans do because of the mind-link. It is all mental, so it is hard to push the melody through. You managed to do that and say it out loud. It is rather impressive."

Valeria continued to ask Yvy questions about dragons, how they live, the broken treaty. Yvy was uncomfortable talking about the broken treaty and wanted Valeria to ask Larius rather than her.

They talked for a while before Cygun linked them, "The meeting is set for an hour from now. We need you to start making your way outside. Don't worry, Yvy will help you."

"I guess it's time," mumbled Valeria suddenly nervous.

"Yeah, let's go!" said Yvy happily.