CHAPTER 25

Anan.

I feel like life is playing the biggest joke on me. The moment everything starts being better and I can actually think of living the rest of my life like this everything just comes crashing down.

I'm standing in front of the kitchen after having the biggest argument with my Mom. Arguments with Mumma were normal. I mean if you thought I had problems then you clearly hadn't met her.

When my dad left it left a whole in me, it broke me and it left a scar in me that could never be fixed. But when it came to Mumma it tore her apart so much that I couldn't even remember her being loving or caring because of how harsh she became towards everyone.

The argument started off because I didn't cook Suhoor. Yes, Aliya eventually snitched. I guess she was pissed so she had to rant. Mumma accused me of being a hoe and basically insulted the life out of me. It was normal but that didn't mean it hurt any less.

I eventually went to my room prayed salah and sat down for like two minutes just thinking about nothing. I guess I was just unlucky, I wondered if I was ever going to be happy. There was nobody that could ever make me happy. This is it. I could never be happy. I could never be loved.

But then there's Ashab.

I knew I was nothing to Ahsab, it was clear. I could see it, everyone could see. I knew Ahsab had no sort of feeling towards me whatsoever. He gave me this bracelet because he pitied me, I knew that. But still it was still the best thing that anyone had ever given me and I couldn't deny with Ahsab I felt a foreign feeling, a feeling that I knew I read wrong.

I felt special and it hurt.

I changed into my uniform pushing back the feeling of sadness in my chest. I connected my phone to the charger and left the room making my way to the kitchen. I entered to see it the very busy. I remembered that the family were observing the fast that was why.

I washed my hands and stood beside Hafsa and I pick up onions, tomatoes and cabbage getting ready to start. Today wasn't my day but for not cooking Suhoor I had to make salad for everyone.

I was humming a song to myself when hell broke loose. "Where the hell did you get that?"Zaynab, my arch nemesis says eyes pointing at the bracelet Ahsab gave me earlier.

I rose my eyebrow. "I don't know"I say. "How about none of your Goddamn business"

I wasn't in the mood today, the only thing that lightened up my mood was Ahsab and I talking, but apart from that my whole day had been shit short.

"Don't be rude Anan"Hafsa interjected our of no where. Her too. Was everyone against me here?.

"Excuse you"I say. Two can play this games I wasn't going to allow them to gang up on me here, not in front of everyone.

"Anan"Hafsa says sharply. I roll my eyes arms folded. I was close with Hafsa but it was obvious she was closer to Zaynab since she knew her for longer. Besides Hafsa and Zaynab's fathers were best friends so..it was meant to be.

"Who do you think you are?"Zaynab hisses.

"Who do you think you are?"I frown. 

The elders around the kitchen turn around hearing our voices and I see Mama's frown was even deeper than mine. Well Uh-Oh.

"What is wrong with you Ayesha? So now you're picking fights with your cousins too. I knew you going to that country was a mistake. Look at you now? useless. You won't get married, you'll just keep picking fights. God Forbid"

I was shocked. I felt the lump rise in my throat. Not here, Anan. Not in front of everyone.

"I'm tired that's why"I yell. I was fed up of everything, I was fed up of life itself. "Life was given to us a billion years ago and what have we done with it, so excuse me if I want to live my life in a worthwhile way because we only control three things in our lives. Our thoughts, the images we visualize and the actions we take. So when my life flashes before my eyes I want to make sure it's worth watching so am sorry if I don't want to spend the rest of my life cooking in a kitchen for a bunch of fools"I say in one breath and I don't fail to see their expressionless faces. I didn't bother scanning their expressions. I sprint out of the kitchen but not before saying. "Actually I'm not sorry". I'm tempted to say 'Fuck you all' but I know this isn't the last time I'll be seeing them.