CHAPTER 5

Anan.

It was like I was tongue tied.

I didn't know what to say or rather where to start. I definitely knew I had to apologize, I could already imagine the look on my Mum's face when she finds out what I did.

"I-I'm so sorry your royal highness. It was an accident"I say quietly hoping he'd heard me. I couldn't even find it in me to completely apologize for what just happened, because it was hard to contemplate. I didn't even dare to look up at the Crown Prince.

"I'm sorry sir. It wont happen again"As soon as those words left my mouth I instantly regretted it.

Sir?. Anan are you serious?

"Are you fucking blind"he yelled making me to slightly jolt. "What the fuck is wrong with you"

And these were the times I hated my job.

"Why don't you watch were you going. Are you mad? Do your realize what you have done"he barked. His eyes full of rage.

Just because he was the Crown Prince that doesn't mean he can talk to people anyhow like they're not human beings.

Especially because he's the Crown Prince.

I was a pretty chill person and I rarely got angry but one thing that made me angry was when people talked rude to other people. I hate rude people more than anything.

Respecting who he was and being the person who ruled my country also my boss. I ignored him and knelt down and started picking up the shattered glass of the expensive mug.

But then he had to speak.

Why couldn't he just walk away.

"What is fucking wrong with you. Where  were you looking . You again! You're crazy for this"

Okay. Enough.

"Are you kidding me. Listen I apologized didn't I?" I questioned. "Then why are you making this into such a big deal. Do you think what you've just said was right?. It wasn't and it will never be so you can suck up your bullshit and leave me the hell alone. " I ended.

I honestly couldn't believe I said that.

His eyes were wide in shock. Even he couldn't believe I said that. I knew that they were huge consequences and I would definitely leave this palace by tomorrow. I knew I was gonna regret this later but I honestly didn't care. All that consumed me at this moment was the hatred of our power imbalance and the anger surged in me.

"I swear...."he started to say but stopped. He was raging and I knew I was going to regret it.

He leaves without saying anything else. I mean hadn't he said enough. My heart palpated and I wondered what the punishment for my actions would be.

I couldn't imagine being fired. I, Ayesha Anan Farsi would be the first Farsi woman to get fired from the job.

Growing up I thought there was nothing like us getting fired. But surely today I would be proven wrong.

I watched as he climbed the golden spiral staircase probably going back to his room and right there and then. I felt it.

The feeling of regret.

The worst feeling in the world.

***************

Mom slapped me across the face. "Do you realize what you've done?".

I don't know how she found out. But it had already spread that I, Anan had disrespected the Crown Prince.

I don't know what pain was worse. Was it the pain of embarrassment? Or was it the stinging pain of my cheek at this moment?.

"Ma..."I started to say. But she cut me off.

"I don't know what is wrong with you. But you better stop, you better change right now or I'll make sure your learn your lesson".

"Go and apologize to him"

I felt numb.

I felt nothing.

Regret. Yes.

But why did I do that. I was fed up at everyone in this Palace, and it was like all along I was just waiting for the right time to explode.

"Excuse me" I mutter, standing up and entering the bathroom to wash my face.

I was in the Workers wing right now.

Immediately Mom found out she dragged me by my scarf to our wing. I noticed the side of my lip was bleeding.

Damn, she really slapped me that hard. I picked up a tissue and immediately I placed it on the side of my lip to clean the blood, I felt the sting.

Ignoring the pain. I cleaned it hard so much till the blood disappeared and it turned into a mark.

It's okay Anan.

Everything will be alright.

I was lying to myself and I knew that.

In an instant I slid my back down on the bathroom wall, and before I knew it water dripped from my eyes down the bridge of my nose and onto my cheek.

I'm so tired.

Why Allah.

What did I do to deserve this kind of life.

Shut up Anan. Your fine.

Your fine.

Your fine.

You. Are. Fine.

I inhaled and exhaled.

Inhaled and exhaled.

Pushed those demons within me back into their cage. But I couldn't hold it.

And before I knew it. I was sobbing, muffling my quiet screams of anger, frustration and sadness.

I was broken.

**************

As I climbed the spiral staircase to the Crown Prince's study. I thought of what I was going to say.

I'll be very very polite, I'd make sure of that.

After I exited the bathroom I changed into the usual black plain abaya and immediately made my way here. I didn't want to stay there while hearing Mom's complains or an Aunt's glare and disappointed face.

I just hoped that Queen Ameera, Latifa and Munira didn't find out. I really hope. I didn't wanna disappoint the Queen, she expected so much from me, more than I was.

I knocked on the Crown Prince study and waited, I didn't mind waiting, I could wait as long as he wanted, as long as he wouldn't vent out his anger on my family.

On me, I didn't care, but not my family, he'd have to kill me first.

"Come in"his deep voice murmured. I opened the door quietly not planning to make any unwanted sound.

His study was beautiful.  It stayed light colored with a huge chandelier and an abstract painting of the sea. His table was at the far end with papers all around it disarranged and two seats at the front. It also consisted of a center table, a couch and a flat screen tv.

"Your highness"I started to say. He merely looked up his beautiful orbs glued on the documents he was reading. I didn't want to notice how fine he was looking because It wasn't the right time.

"Good evening. I just wanted to apologize. I'm sorry . I don't know what got into me, I't's been such a long week, and sincerely from the bottom of my heart I ask for your forgiveness.

"I promise you it won't happen again. This was just a misunderstanding, and I beg you not to take a drastic action. Again, It won't happen again. I assure you won't ever see me again in your life. I'm sincerely sorry Your highness"