Chapter 13

Blake's POV

"Are you guys ready to go yet? We don't want to be late to an event like this. We have to show that we care by at least being there on time."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. We are super early right now, so put a sock in it for the next few minutes." That is Ella, my sister in-law, and she doesn't like doing things with me because I happen to like being early to places. I guess being 'fashionably late' is still a thing and she takes pride in using it.

I groan and roll my eyes in response. But nothing is helping with the jitters I currently have.

I can't stand being late to anything, but especially to a charity event. Come on! I close my eyes shut and try to focus on taking deep breaths. Why does this effect me so much?

I feel a hand on my shoulder giving me a soft squeeze. I open my eyes to see my brother standing there with concern in his eyes. "Hey Nick. Are we leaving now?"

"The ladies need a few more minutes. Just calm down, we'll still be early... Blake. Are you okay? I know this stuff makes you anxious, but I've never seen it this bad before."

"I don't know what's wrong with me. I kind of left Ryan and Emma on somewhat bad terms. I think that is probably why. Don't worry about it."

"But that's the thing Blake, I do worry about you. I don't want anything to happen to you. You know I am always here for you and I always want to help."

"Thanks Nick." I look him in the eyes but only give him a tight smile.

He walks away and leaves me in my thoughts. And I start thinking about her.

I think I was really hard on Kaitlyn and I honestly have no idea why. She's a really sweet and kind person. And I just had to open up my big mouth and take my pain out on her.

I think the night when she was talking about her mom and all the memories she has with her made me jealous. But then again, why would that make me jealous? Ryan has a mom, even Nick has a mom, but that doesn't make me feel the way I did when Kaitlyn brought up her mom.

Maybe it's also because she is fucking hot and it's disorienting my thoughts.

I know I was an ass to her to try and push her away. I just didn't want to be around anyone who was either a girl, or someone I didn't know. I needed time to myself. I just lost the most important person to me in my life and I didn't need anyone messing up my mourning.

I feel really terrible now... Maybe I should apologize. Maybe not. I probably won't see her ever again. And she doesn't belong to my business world. Surely she can't be the one my grandpa told me to find. She's not the one for me.

"Alright antsy pants! We're ready to go now!" Ella interrupts my thoughts.

"About time. And if we're late, you all are to blame."

"Son, when you get married you're going to have to learn that early isn't always a possibility. When you were born, your mom always made me late making sure she had everything she needed 'incase of an emergency.' And I know you weren't around, but Tiffany was the same way with Nick. You'll get the hang of it. I did, and I was exactly like you." My dad decided to chime in. I'm trying to let him in because of my grandfather's wishes, but it's going to be a slow work in progress.

"Thanks Dad. I'll try to work on it," I said curtly. It might have sounded like I was angry, but I don't currently share pleasantries with him.

We all piled into a limousine that was waiting outside and left for the hotel where the event was being held. We could have stayed at that hotel, but we wanted to stay in one of our own hotels. It's just a preference.