Chapter 11

I wake up to a warm sunlight filling my room, while being tangled up in clean white linen. I take in a deep breath and smile proceeds to creep up on my face. It smells like home; There is no place like home.

I feel surprisingly chipper this morning. Which is not typical for me by any means. I am not a morning person because I hate waking up, but it is my favorite time of day. Maybe the fact that I am at home and away from whatever happened in Colorado is making me feel happy.

I hop out of bed, slip into my slippers, and grab my robe. Then I proceed to walk downstairs to start my coffee for the day. It's a surprisingly warm October day in Dallas today, and I am going to soak up every bit I can in my backyard.

With coffee in my hand, I pick up a book and my laptop and go on my way outside.

I lay down on one of my lawn chairs and soak up the sunshine. It feels so good. It's so warm and bright. I could live in this feeling for the rest of my life, and be happier than words can express. But enough relaxing, I should get some work done.

Begrudgingly, I sit up and pull out my laptop and go through my emails. Perfect. I have a meeting set up with Mr. Rodder for tomorrow. I know I should 'still be on vacation,' but I will do anything I can for my company and this is a huge deal for me. So, the rest of the day will be filled with me double checking numbers and learning more about who Mr. Rodder is.

The better I know him, the better I understand what he wants from selling his company. And I can make sure I fulfill those wants in my pitch. It may seem sneaky, but it's something we business people do. If you told someone something about yourself, rest assured we all know about it in the business world. It's just the way it is. It's what causes most of us to be very reserved and not open with others. Privacy is the only protection we have as business moguls.

Learning about your business associates can be really tedious and annoying, but there's something I love about it. I think it's because it makes me feel like a real private investigator. And I'm also really good at 'stalking' people. Online of course. Social media is one of the best things to have ever happened to me. It's more accurate than the tabloids. And I have access to more private accounts because of how many wealthy people allow me to follow private accounts. These are usually the people that don't understand how important their privacy should be; But I'm not going to bring it to their attention. It'll be one of my little secrets.

Mr. Rodder is going to be hard to research online because he's older. They didn't even have the option to share anything online, even if they wanted to. I may be able to find old news articles and things like that but I'm going to have to call in the expert, Mr. Silverton. He is the one that taught me the need for researching your potential business associates.

After a little contemplation on what my next steps are. Maybe I'll visit the library later and go through old newspapers and whatnot, but for now I have to call up Mr. Silverton.

"Ugh!" I yell out in frustration. I remembered everything except for my phone. Hopefully no one called. I run back inside up to my bedroom and grab my phone off of my bedside table.

No missed calls or messages. Although I wasn't gone from it that long, right?

My phone is always with me. It's my actual assistant, and I have no idea where I would be without one. My phone is basically a piece of my body that is still functional without being physically attached to me. Though some might say it is attached. But let's not argue semantics.

As I begin my descend down the stairs on my way back outside, I go through my contacts and click on Mr. Silverton's phone number, which is listed as 'Dad #2.' I usually call him once a week. He is my business advisor and a father figure in my life. I would not have Roberts & Co. without him.