Chapter 8

As I pull out of the airport onto the two-lane highway, I roll down the windows for Anna and turn up the temperature and seat heater for me. I love having the windows down even when it's cold. And yes, I hate the cold, but when you have the temperature inside the car really high and a seat heater on, it all balances perfectly. And besides, Anna is always happier when the windows are down.

The drive over to Emma and Ryan's home from the airport is always really easy. They live far enough away from the city that they don't have to deal with traffic or terrible drivers.

I think I'd enjoy driving a lot more if it weren't for other drivers.

Anyways, it's a thirty mile drive from the airport to the gate of their property and then another seven miles to the house. I'll be on the road for about forty minutes and I find that to be the perfect distance after a pretty short flight. I miss being able to go on long drives without many people around, so that's why I always drive myself.

When you live in a pretty big city and you work in an office, all you see is traffic. Car after car after car. Oh, and another car. And I don't even see it anymore as I have a driver.

We, as humans, just need things in life that calm us down and give us happiness. Anything that isn't ritzy, or expensive, and could be called an adventure is happiness to me. And spending it with someone you love or care deeply for makes it even better.

Well. I assume it does.

Great. My whole ride there I'm going to be thinking about how much happier I would be if I had someone I loved go on adventures with me.

Snorkeling in Tahiti, riding elephants in India, zip-lining in Costa Rica, feeding pigs on the beach in the Bahamas, going for a stroll on the streets á Paris, back packing in Austria. All these things I want to share, no, need to share with the love of my life.

Hopeless romantic much?

***

I pull up to the gate and have a moment to realize how relaxed I am from the brisk air and comfortable drive. Besides my uncomfortable thoughts trying to pull me down.

Emma really was right, this was perfect for me. I might have to do this more often than usual.

I punch in the code on the key pad by the entrance, and the gate slowly starts to open. I pull forward to be greeted by a gravel road. The sound of the tires on the gravel is soothing, making me wish it wasn't going to end soon. But that sound will be replaced by horse hoofs hitting the ground pretty soon, so I guess I can't complain.

I finally arrive at the house and find Emma walking out anticipating my arrival at that exact moment. I hop out of the car and open the door for Anna, then I turn to embrace Emma in a tight hug. We hold on to each other for a good five minutes telling each other how much we missed being together and rocking back and forth. If you were standing there watching us, it would have probably looked like we were dancing.

We loosen our hold on each other and as Emma steps back she says excitedly, "I have the guest house all ready for you. I'm actually on top of it this time around!"

We both laugh at that. "You're always on top of it, who are you kidding?" I reply with a heavy eye roll.

"Okay, that might be slightly true," then she giggles, "so, are you ready for a ride right before dinner?"

"Yes, I was hoping to get a ride in before sunset."

"Sounds perfect, why don't you get the clothes out that you need, and saddle up Cheyenne. I don't think I'll be able to go with you today, I still have a lot of work. But, I promise an early morning ride tomorrow."