Chapter 4

We pulled up to my place and he opened the door for me. "Thank you Mr. Winston. I don't know if Samantha told you or not, but I will be out of town for awhile. I have a flight scheduled to Colorado that leaves in a few hours, so I'll need a ride there. But you are in charge of the house while I'm gone. Please keep me posted. And please take that wife of yours on a well deserved date or two, I will have my secretary make a reservation at a place downtown, and I will not take no for an answer. You have been one of my best employees over the years, you've been there for me after my parents died, and I want to spend the rest of my life showing you what that means to me."

I could see his eyes turn glossy as he began to speak, "I knew your mother and father very well, I have seen you grow up. I even see you as a child of mine. And I could not be more proud of the person you are. You have a kind heart and a stubborn attitude when it comes to graciousness. You won't let people say no to you when you're showing them your appreciation and care. You are one wonderful young woman, and I can't wait to see you as a mother and wife."

Now we are both crying and Mr. Winston pulls my shoulders towards him to envelop me in his embrace. I pull back slightly to look him in the eyes and say. "Mr. Winston. Thank you. You have no idea what that means to me. Now stop making me cry," we both chuckle, "and I really have to pack, or I won't leave on time. Oh, and I will be taking Anna with me, so you wont have to worry about her. Thanks again."

I hug him one last time and walk up the front steps to my massive home. I know it's just me and Anna living here in the house, but I got to design the whole house. The bigger the house the more designing. And plus, Mr. and Mrs. Winston were over at my house quite frequently. They came over for any reason, and it made it feel like I wasn't the only one living there. I loved them so deeply.

I had a little house built to the side of mine, as he wouldn't let me build anything bigger than a two-thousand square-foot home, for the Winstons. I figured if I built it on my property and said that it was a house for my driver, he would consent to living there. He's just as stubborn as I am. Maybe that's why we've always gotten along so well.

I open the door to the house and am greeted by Anna. "Hi Pumpkin, did you miss me? I missed you!" I say as I drop my bags and sit on the floor to hug and pet my baby. She lays down then rolls over in my lap so I can rub her belly. She sure knows how to get what she wants. "I love you Anna! I love my baby! Hey guess what?" She jumps up and starts wagging her tail as she tries to lick my face. I put my hand up to try to cover my face as I say, "Hey, take it easy, no kisses, we have to leave and I don't have time for a shower, you silly girl." Then I start getting up off the floor and wipe my pants with my hands trying to knock off any dirt from the floor. Something all of us girls do, even if you're on a clean floor, it's just a habit.

"Oh yeah, you almost made me forget to tell you. We're going on a trip to see Emma, Ryan, and all the horses! I know you love it over there, so I wanted to take you." And that was all I needed to say. Anna is a really smart dog, I'm pretty sure she knew exactly what I was saying. She got so excited, she even started barking at me and howling as she followed me up the stairs to my bedroom.

I walked right into my closet and pulled out three suitcases. Two for me, and one for Anna. Yes, I am that crazy pet owner, and yes I am proud of it. But seriously. Dogs are creatures of habit. You wouldn't change their food for a couple of weeks, or not bring their favorite toy they find comfort in, or even not bring their bed that smells like home and makes them feel safe. Everything I do for Anna is to bring her happiness. She was there for me when my parents passed away, and I will do anything and everything in my power to make sure I show her how much that means to me.

I always pack pretty light, but riding boots and jackets take up a lot of space, that's why I have two suitcases. An hour later, Anna and I are packed for Colorado.