New Opportunities

Keep in mind that I actually have no idea how some of the stuff in this chapter actually works.

It had been about a week since you received the trophy for the talent show performance. After a few days, the excitement had died out, and the trophy sitting on your dresser had started to gather dust. Over the last few days, your friends had congratulated you multiple times, and apparently, money exchanged hands. Whoever had started placing bets on your performance was strange. But you accepted it.

Now, you were in your room, on a Friday evening, earbuds in your ears, playing soft music as you scrolled through a few apps for entertainment. As the song ended, and the silence between songs emerged, you heard a knock on your doorframe.

You looked over, seeing your dad at the doorframe. You lifted a hand to say something, but didn't get the chance to.

"I've got an offer for you." Your attention was piqued by this. Your father entered the room.

"Your getting older, and probably want a way to make money. Correct?" You shrugged. Finance was not something you focused on, but hey, since when did a few extra bucks hurt?

"I'm taking an extra day to work tomorrow. I was thinking that I take you, let you meet the boss, take a look at how things work there." You looked at your dad with a 'seriously?' look. He chuckled.

"Good to see you remember what I do for a living." You nodded. Your father made music boxes for a living, for a business owned by his father, your grandfather. Music boxes were the family business on your paternal side of the family. A man was expected to give the business to their firstborn, or most willing child at retirement. And it wasn't a secret that your grandfather was getting really old. If you had to guess, it was gonna be 5 years before your father took over the business.

"Well, I'm thinking I let you see, and try out making a few music boxes for yourself. You willing?" You nodded. You knew it was expected of you. Your father nodded.

"Great. I'll wake you up tomorrow. Make sure you have decent clothes ready." You nodded as your father got up to leave the room. When he left, you went around your room, arranging a few things. Jeans, solid red t-shirt, you would figure out socks later. You placed the folded clothes on your dresser, by the trophy for the Talent Show. After that was done, you returned to your bed, getting back to what you were doing before.

Saturday morning. When your dad said he was going to wake you up, you didn't think he meant at 6:00 in the morning. That was for school, and even then, you could barely move, unless you went to bed early.

Anyways, you were in your dad's car, in the passenger seat, as he drove. It was a particularly foggy morning, as your dad drove you through town, stopping at a shopping center. One of the buildings had a logo of several music notes, coming from a music box. The large letters read:

L/n Music Making: Music from the heart and soul.

Your dad exited the car, as you did the same. You yawned as your dad opened the door for you. You gave the sign for 'Thank you' as you entered, prompting a 'mmhm' from him. As you entered, the main room seemed a bit underwhelming. A counter, some chairs for waiting, some posters, that was about it. At the counter, handling a few things, was a man both you and your father knew.

Your grandfather, Gp/n looked up as the bell rang, to see you guys.

"Good morning F/n. Good to see you brought young Y/n here too. Letting him watch the work, no?" Your dad nodded.

"Thinking of letting him make a box or two, get some practice." Your grandfather nodded.

"Already training him, huh? He gonna get a job here?" Your father shrugged.