Tryouts

Fair warning my guys, this is probably gonna turn out to be a short chapter.

You and Katelyn stood in the line in the auditorium, watching as someone finished a rather poor guitar solo. The judge, a deeply tanned woman in a suit, jotted some things down on a slip of paper, before looking up at the boy who just finished.

"And you want this to be judged?" The boy nodded.

"Yes Ma'am." The woman sighs.

"Well, then I'm afraid we cannot let you in the performance." The boy looks down, saddened.

"Okay...." he says

"Chin up. You can enter as someone who isn't judged, but being judged isn't going to do you good." The boy nods.

  For some context, you and Katelyn had gone through the song for the better part of every day of the week. Katelyn had done her part in memorizing the piece. Now, it was Friday, one week before the show. In anticipation of a crowd, you and Katelyn had arrived early, that being right after as school ended. It was a good call, as behind you was a very large crowd, both in line and not.

In one of your hands was your violin case, and in the other, a briefcase holding your mother's music boxes you would be using. You had entrusted the laptop case to Katelyn, which may have been risky, but you were ready.

"Next!" The lady called. You and Katelyn looked at each other, before nodding and walking up to the stage.

"Now, can you tell me your names and what you will be performing?" The lady asked. You simply started setting up the stuff while Katelyn did the talking.

"My name is Katelyn, my partner is Y/n, and we are going to be performing the song Shatter Me." The lady nodded as you opened the laptop, which had the application holding the computer-generated sounds for the song. You gave Katelyn a thumbs up, turning the volume up all the way.

"You may start whenever you feel like it." The lady said, writing something down already on a different slip of paper. Katelyn nodded to you. You took a deep breath, before cranking the bigger music box, which played the background melody. Soon, the notes drifted out, hushing the speaking in the auditorium as they watched the next pair of performers.

Katelyn stood ready to sing as you started the second music box, only for the ticking.

"I pirouette in the dark... I see the stars through me...." You lifted the bow of the violin, and played the first few notes.....

The song ended almost as soon as it began, and you lowered your violin. There was polite clapping from the crowd watching your mock performance as the woman started to talk.

"And this is to be judged?" You started to pack up the equipment as Katelyn replied.

  "Yes it is." The woman jotted some notes down.

"Alright. You will have performance number Three in the Judged performances, which start at 7:00 next Friday. Come to the backstage Monday after school to get some prep done for yourselves." Katelyn nodded as you fastened the final latch on the briefcase, double checking to make sure everything was secure.

You nodded at Katelyn as she nodded to the speaker.

"Alright, Thank you Ma'am." The woman nodded as she placed the slip of paper she was writing on to her right, where two other slips waited. On her left was a significantly larger pile. You gave Katelyn the laptop bag and grabbed your items. You walked off the stage, prompting a "Next!" From the woman.

You and Katelyn high fived as you exited the auditorium. You did it. Katelyn looked ahead.

"Alright. We'll go to your house to practice again, and hopefully throughout the week, before the talent show, where hopefully we do good." You nodded as the two of you stopped at your locker.

"Take your laptop. I'll meet you at the front of the school." Katelyn told you. You nodded and took your laptop bag, putting in your nearly empty bag alongside your violin case. Katelyn walked off as you shut your locker, spinning the lock to reset the combination.

You held the briefcase with the music boxes close as you walked to the front of the school. There you waited for Katelyn. As you stood by, you caught glimpse of Aphmau talking with Kawaii~Chan. As they spoke, Travis, who was beside the two of them, caught sight of you, and walked over.

"Hey Y/n my man!" You waved at him as he approached.

  "I hear you enrolled in the Talent Show!" You nodded.

  "What are you gonna do?" You smiled and waved him off in a 'shoo' gesture. Travis smirked and backed away slowly.

  "Don't worry, I'll keep your little secret." Travis said. You deadpanned. Didn't he just shout it out in the middle of the school front?" You watched as Aphmau got picked up by her mom and Kawaii~Chan get picked up in a similar manner.

  As they all left, you saw your mom pull up just as Katelyn emerged from the building.

  "Huh. Just in time." Katelyn stated. You nodded, walking towards her car. You got in the passenger seat to see your mom, a smile on her face.

  "Hey there Y/n." She said. You waved.

  "So, how did tryouts go?" She asked. You smiled in response.

The section I'm in starts at 7 o clock. I am third.

  Your mom pumped a fist at this, almost crashing the car in the process. You tried to stabilize yourself by holding on to anything. The door handle worked fine.

  "Well, now all you need to do is practice more, I guess!" You nodded, breathing heavily.

  "Yeah. You think there will be something other than the show?" Katelyn asked you. You paused for a moment, before grabbing your phone, typing a message to Katelyn.

Maybe food, as well as the awards thingy.

  Katelyn nodded from your input, before your mom pulled into the driveway.

  "Alright chilluns! Go do your thing! I'll be playing with Drei!" You nodded as you and Katelyn got out of the car, looking at each other. You smiled. Seven more days, and you and Katelyn will have to shine.

  Just as I said, a short chapter. The next chapter will be the talent show, so get ready! Thank you for reading and have a great day!

~ASnazzyGuy

~1080 Words