Chapter 41- One, two. Three, six, nine. Join me in my bloody crime.

Coldrose chomped on a shrew, feeling the bones crack under her teeth. The hunting patrol had been successful, as well as the patrols to RiverClan and SkyClan. The leaders Barkstar (who was still in critical condition, with his broken shoulder) and Wavestar had agreed to be allied with ThunderClan and ShadowClan. Apparently Wavestar had pleaded, on behalf of the mothers, for the RiverClan kits to be returned. Shadeblossom had told Wavestar that she would have to talk to Froststar about it, and also that she was in no place to make such demands, and that she should be happy that Froststar had spared her life. Anger pinched her gut as Coldrose had recalled Shadeblossom's gloating about the whole conversation. As a warrior, Shadeblossom was always a vain fox-hearted liar and cheater, but I never thought she'd end up like this!

Coldrose swallowed a bite of shrew. I wonder if Froststar will end up giving the kits back. I really hope he does. Before, she didn't understand the unbreakable bond between mother and kit. But now that she was pregnant, it felt like a fierce fire inside her, ready to burn anyone who tried to get to her kits. A fire that repelled outsiders, but kept the kits nice and warm. Those poor mothers must be in agony. Realization dawned on her.

This whole time- nobody spoke up about the kit stealing. It's because they don't understand the bond, and the ones that did are too afraid to speak up, for the safety of their own kits. Coldrose dug her claws into the dirt. I will stop Froststar. She looked over to the lichen hanging down from high ledge, covering the crack that held his den. But not now, not in broad daylight. Her eyes narrowed as she spotted Flowerbreeze. The pretty she-cat was laying by high ledge, grooming her fur, but obviously keeping one eye on Froststar's den. She must have felt Coldrose's eyes on her, though, and she looked over at Coldrose. Coldrose looked away quickly, heart pounding. And especially not with his little inner circle of sinister cats.

Her gaze drifted over to Specklepaw, and her heart twisted with pity. The white tortoiseshell she-cat with hazel speckles was laying limply while her mother Robinflight groomed her fur, and Mossypelt stroked her back with his tail. The little apprentice had come stumbling out of the medicine cat den, mumbling about wanting sunlight, then had collapsed. Infection had taken root deep in her wounds, according to Wishfeather.

Coldrose stuffed more shrew into her mouth to keep herself from hissing. This is Froststar's fault. All his. Munching angrily on her shrew, Coldrose didn't notice the cat standing next to her until they sat down beside her. Coldrose started, jerking her head toward the cat next to her.

"Hello." It was Bloodfang. The reddish brown she-cat with yellow eyes lay next to her, crossing her front paws. Coldrose's whiskers twitched. She was immediately suspicious.

"Hello, Bloodfang. What can I do for you?" Coldrose asked, in her usual emotionless and crisp tone she used around other cats. Bloodfang purred.

"Oh, nothing. Just wanted to talk. What's it like, being the deputy of such an amazing leader?" the young she-cat's eyes bore into Coldrose's. Oh. I get it. You're after my position. If only you knew- I'd give it to you in a heartbeat.

"I'm extremely honored, to be his deputy," Coldrose lied. "But don't waste words on me, Bloodfang. What do you want? Do you want to be deputy?"

Bloodfang's young eyes widened with a look of innocence. "Oh, no, of course not. But you are going to have kits soon, I can tell. So Froststar will need a temporary deputy. I'm young, and haven't had an apprentice yet, so this will be a good experience for me in the future," she explained. You're hoping to use this to become permanent deputy. I get it.

"Does your brother and your little friend Fiercefire know about you asking this?" Coldrose couldn't help but ask.

"No," Bloodfang scowled, mood changing immediately. "But they don't need too. They'd approve of me being deputy, I'm sure.