Chapter thirty-five- My heart is as cold as ice, and my smile is not very nice

Coldrose paced the clearing, knowing soon Froststar would return. She felt something move in her stomach. I know, kits, I promised to go see your father, but I don't think it's going to happen. She sighed. But we might see him on the battle field.

"Something wrong, dear?" Coldrose looked behind her to see Mistfeather standing there. She blinked her glowing green eyes.

"Oh, nothing," Coldrose replied, looking away.

"You can tell Froststar you don't want to participate in the battle. He'll understand, for the future of ThunderClan." She's talking about my kits!

"How did you know?" she gasped. Mistfeather purred.

"Remember, I was a queen not too long ago." Coldrose looked down at her sides.

"Is it noticeable?" she asked, feeling slightly panicked.

"No, at least not right now. But since you can feel the kits moving, it won't be long. The she-cats will notice first, the toms will just think your putting on a few extra pounds because it's green-leaf. You have time yet," Mistfeather answered. At least Froststar chose a good mate. Only right thing he's done so far, but he doesn't deserve her.

"Thanks, Mistfeather," Coldrose replied. That word felt weird. She didn't genuinely thank cats often.

"You're welcome. Pregnancy might be scary at first, but it'll be worth it in the end," the silver she-cat then trotted away, over to the fresh-kill pile to grab a mouse. Well, that's easy for you to say. You're basically the perfect picture of a mother. Me? Haha, not so much. Coldrose turned in a circle, then sat down. I can't believe they'll have to grow up in a world like this.

Hello, dear. Coldrose stiffened.

Sageweed?

That's right. Froststar wanted me to tell you that he's on his way back. Be ready. That was all she said.

Oh StarClan. What do I do? To her surprise, StarClan actually answered.

Do not fear. We are with you.

M-mom?

We know that you are good. And when this is over, we'll have a special place in StarClan for you.

I don't care about me! I care about the rest of the Clans!

This should have never happened. We're so, so sorry. And that was all she said.

~~~~~~~

Froststar padded back to camp, his emotions an agitated swarm inside him. You stupid cat! You would have snapped his neck if I hadn't been there to move your paw. I can't be kitsitting you all the time! Froststar ground his teeth, seething, but he knew Sageweed was right.

I need to get my anger under control.

Yes, you do!

Oh shut up! You don't have to try and control your emotions every single day, sometimes you need to let them out!

Well, if this goes well and you are able to wipe out every single Clan except ShadowClan you won't have to hide your emotions anymore. Besides, I think your warriors know you're evil now. They're not stupid. Froststar didn't reply.

I'm just going to go get Coldrose and the rest of my warriors and attack RiverClan. I'll feel better after that. "Froststar!" For a moment he thought Sageweed was speaking to him again. "Froststar!" The ThunderClan leader stopped and turned around, so he was staring right into Mossypelt's fearful green eyes. "Froststar, if we don't get back to camp soon, Ambershine will die." This took Froststar a moment to comprehend.