Chapter one- One, two. One two three. In the end you'll fall to me.

It's time. The words that Sageweed had spoken rang in his ears. It's timeee! His mind sang joyfully. A half-moon had passed since Splashstar had been made leader and Cragstar had died. Frostheart had wanted to do it right away- but Sageweed had convinced him otherwise. Now he bounded through the forest gleefully, until he made it into camp. "Well, you look happy," said a silky voice. Frostheart turned to see Mistfeather- a silver she-cat with black stripes, white paws, tail-tip, and ear-tip.

"I am- I'm finally glad leaf-bare is over and ThunderClan has recovered," he said. 

Good, Sageweed purred. She flicked his ear with her tail.

"How about you go join a hunting patrol, then?" she purred.

"I will," he said. She's pretty- can't believe I didn't realize that before. 

Stay focused, Sageweed hissed. 

Hey- at least that means my hard work has payed off. In the last half-moon since the Clans had been recovering, Frostheart had slowly began to make himself be more helpful, and more likable. It was Sageweed's idea to get his clan mates to trust him enough not to suspect it was him- for the next step of their plan. Frostheart had to admit- he was usually cold towards the other cats in his Clan. But that was changing now. If he was going to lead these cats, he would at least try and like them. Frostheart padded over to Splashstar. "Can I go on a hunting patrol?" he asked. Splashstar looked up at him.

"Yes- Hopelight is just forming one now." 

Perfect, Sageweed purred- he could practically hear the sneer in it. Splashstar finally didn't fear Frostheart anymore- he could tell by the way he could finally look him in the eye. Frostheart bounded over to Hopelight.

"Splashstar has assigned me to your patrol," he said. He fought back the sneer itching to form on his face.

"Well that's wonderful!" Hopelight exclaimed. So young, so naive, Frostheart thought, as the patrol slipped out of camp. He chuckled menacingly, though luckily the other cats ahead of him were out of ear shot.

"Okay, let's split up to hunt," Hopelight said. Frostheart pretended to go another direction, then whipped around an sprang after Hopelight. He stepped carefully, not wanting to warn her of his presence. He got ready to pounce. 

Not yet! Sageweed screeched inside his head. Wait until she gets to the river- you can hide your scent after. 

Right. Frostheart followed Hopelight, realizing she was following the scent of vole. She paused at the river bank, and sniffed the air. "Frostheart?" she asked, looking around. "Is that you?" 

Now! Frostheart leaped out of the undergrowth, easily pining the smaller cat down. Taken by surprise, she went limp, probably preparing to throw him off. Frostheart was quicker, quickly nipping her throat like a piece of prey. He held on for a few heartbeats, hot blood flooding into his mouth. He let go, and she collapsed, blood spilling from her wound. He quickly pushed her into the water before a drop of blood touched the ground. He held her steady with one paw.

"Now... don't go telling your StarClan friends about this. If you do, and ThunderClan finds out, I'll kill your kits," he hissed. Then he let her go, watching her body float down the river.

*****

"Has anyone seen Hopelight?" Splashstar asked. "Ivyclaw?" He asked, a note of panic in his voice. She shook her head. He turned to him. "Frostheart?" The big patchy white tom placed the paw down that he was licking.

"No- not since the hunting patrol," he forced his eyes to looked round in worry.  On the inside, he was trembling with excitement. She's really dead! Eyes brimming with worry, Splashstar started calling cats for a patrol to search for her, tail lashing frantically. Frostheart was among them. Mistfeather padded up to his side.

"I hope nothing bad happened to Hopelight," she murmured, her sweet breath stirring the fur on his ear.

"You and me both," he replied grimly. 

Fools! Sageweed cackled in his head. The patrol trotted briskly through the forest, everyone tense with worry. Dusk was falling. Do you really think they won't suspect me? He asked Sageweed. 

Of course not. The warrior code makes them blind. They'd sooner suspect RiverClan did it then one of their clan mates. Her words reassured him.

 "Let's split up," Splashstar suggested. "Get a partner- you never know, a fox might be out there." Mistfeather was already by him.

"Where should we check?" She asked.

"Hmm," Frostheart pretended to think. "Let's try near the creek, we haven't checked there yet."

"Good idea," Mistfeather agreed, and hurried after him as he bounded through the forest. 

This is where your acting skills will be put to the test. 

Trust me- I've been able to act nice and docile for the past half-moon. I can handle this. Frostheart took the path that he stalked Hopelight, brushing against the leaves deliberately to cover up his old scent with his fresh scent now. "I-I think I can smell her!" Mistfeather exclaimed, as they reached the river bank.

"Me too. Let's follow the creek," he said. They bounded down the river bank when Mistfeather gasped.

"Look!" Sure enough, Hopelight's soaked corpse was washed up on the shore.

"No!" Frostheart gasped. He and Mistfeather raced over. "Sh-she must have drowned!" He exclaimed, forcing a note of grief into his voice. There was a thunder of paw-steps, and Splashstar and the others appeared.

"Hopelight!" He screeched, and ran over to her body. "What happened?" He demanded. Frostheart made himself sway on his paws.

"We-we found her," he choked out.

"She must have drowned," Mistfeather whimpered.

"No, look!" Mousetuft gasped. She tapped her neck, where two bite marks were. My bite marks.

"She was murdered? No, who could possibly do this?" Gasped Stormlight, a white and gray tom.

"No!" Splashstar screeched again, his eyes brimming with anger, a rare thing to see. Well, everyone knew Hopelight was his mate, the mother to Silverpaw and Quickpaw.

"Who would do this?" Ivyclaw murmured. 

Say something, mouse-brain! Say 'another clan cat! An assassin!' Frostheart looked at Splashstar.

"Maybe it was a-another Clan. They could have sent someone as an assassin." Splashstar's claws curled angrily into the ground.

"They will pay- whoever it is!" He spat, sprinting away madly.

"He's mad with grief," Mistfeather whimpered. Frostheart pressed himself against her.

"We must be strong," he murmured in her ear, as Stormlight and Mousetuft lifted Hopelight onto their backs. 

Well done, Frostheart. If Splashstar sets himself against the other Clans, he might just lose a life. Bonus for us.